Change in design - Need opinions and guidance.

SouthernBornOUFan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
OKC
So my chicken coop endeavor has kicked into high gear. I pretty much had everything planned and moving along - Then my father came by. LOL.

I've gotten as far as the 1st picture. My idea is pretty clear - It's a portable coop with wheels. I was going to build a run that was detachable as well. My father and I went to Tractor Supply and he offered to buy me a large 4x4 cart. Would this route be better? I'm tempted but not sure it'd be worth it...

Any ideas are appreciated.

1196609d.jpg

This is the 4x4 cart

http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-g...rilla-carts-monster-cart-3599561#BVRRWidgetID

Last edited:
I don't understand. What would you do with the cart? The coop is basically built, although I see no ventilation at the top.

This set up has very little ground clearance and may be difficult to move over uneven ground. The cart would solve that issue. I don't know the dimensions of your coop, but would it be stable on the cart? Another advantage of the cart is that it could be towed by a lawn tractor. Have you tried moving the coop? It looks like a nice coop and if it moves easy enough, I would take your dad up on the cart and use it to move feed and water buckets to the coop.
wink.png

The idea is to put the coop on the cart and be able to move it around on the property by lawn mower.

The current set up, although with out wheels installed, is very heavy and I have no way of turning other then manually lifting the coop and pointing it in the direction I was to go.

The cart is big enough and appears sturdy enough to handle the weight of the coop with out the base in the picture. Basically replacing the base for the cart.

I'll add ventilation if it's needed, but I wasn't going to put in a door. Does it need top ventilation even with a small opening for the door?

Sorry for not being clearer.

Yep - the water vapor and ammonia fumes rise, so you need ventilation at the top. (Do a search on here for ventilation and you'll find lots of discussion.)

You need a door that closes at night, to keep bad things from eating the chickens. Also, you don't want a draft blowing from the door to the upper ventilation, across their bodies.

That cart looks good - looks like sturdy wire on the bottom. You would want to add hardware cloth to that, so their toes wouldn't hang through where bad things could bite them off.

I'd say the cart would make it much easier to move as long as you can secure the coop to the cart. I have used these cart previously and they are well made in my opinion.

as far as ventilation, I would recommend a vent near the top of the coop for circulation. These birds make a lot of moisture.

Ok, I'll get a vent in the works this weekend.

The coop will sit on the edge of the cart, the cart can be turned into a flat bed. I'll build a run separate that is light enough to be moved and it'll butt up against the coop. The chickens wouldn't actually be on the cart with their feet. The coop should fit really well and maybe leave just some room for supplies or something.

Still working out predator protection.

Last edited:
Fixing to start on the roosts. Does anyone recommend a reason I should or shouldn't put carpet on the roost? Would that make them more comfortable?

Also I was thinking about insulation the roof - would this keep heat in/out?

Quote:
No need for insulation. It's a small enough coop that chicken body heat should keep it warm enough as long as you don't have any drafts. And as for the roosts - NO CARPET!! Chickens poop everywhere, including on the roosts, and you don't want to have to scrape the poop out of carpet fibers. Stick with a plain 2x4 - it's comfy enough for the chickens just plain.

Back
Top Bottom