Change in egg color??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsaySinai, Jul 12, 2011.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    The first few eggs my easter eggers laid were blue...the next couple have been pink. Are they going to stay pink or will I get some blue back??

2. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    An EE will only lay in one color. Have others started to lay? This would account for the new colors.

3. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    I just did a bunch of reading on this and everyone says they can't change the color of their eggs but can you explain this.....I got my EE's on the same day an they were the same age. When they got old enough I put them in the coop with my 2 Rhode Islands reds. My RI lay huge brown eggs. The first time my EE's laid I looked in the coop and there was one brown egg and two very small blue ones. Two days later I got another blue egg, and for the next two days I got small blue eggs. Now....the past three days (besides my large brown eggs) I've been receiving one small pink egg a day. There's no way one chicken laid two blue eggs on the first day and continued laying them for a few days, then the other one started laying pink eggs for a few days while the other one stopped....so there is obviously a color change...right????

4. Mark & Nique

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    How many EEs do you have? Could have a different one started to lay?

5. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Mark & Nique :

How many EEs do you have? Could have a different one started to lay?

I only have two...and I got two small blue eggs the first time I got any from them on the same day, within hours of each other. It's not possible one laid two eggs that close to each other is it? I literally checked the coop, went on errands, and when I got home there were three eggs in one of the nesting boxes...one was a large brown RI egg, and the other two were the small blue ones.​

6. Mark & Nique

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    When hens first start to lay, it is rare, but not uncommon to get a double-lay. Our BR laid 2 in a day before she settled into her routine.

7. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Mark & Nique :

When hens first start to lay, it is rare, but not uncommon to get a double-lay. Our BR laid 2 in a day before she settled into her routine.

Thats the only thing that makes sense...but I still find it a little weird that the blue egg layer stopped when the other one started.​

8. Mark & Nique

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Our EE isn't laying AT ALL right now...she is molting and with the summer heat (which is expected to hit 100 today), I cannot blame her.

The egg-laying will fall into a routine soon.

9. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    I just read on another blog that a lady had EE's and only got brown eggs, then months later she got 5 eggs like she usually did(and only had 5 hens) and one of them was blue. Unless she's lying, or someone slipped a blue egg in her coop, it seems very similar to whats going on with mine.

10. Mark & Nique

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    The color-changing EE is something I've read about before, too, but...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by