1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Change in older hen's eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Happy Chooks, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have a 2 1/2 year old Production Red that all of a sudden has started laying thin shelled eggs. (plenty of oyster shell available) She has always laid eggs with strong shells until now. If I tap the shell at the pointy end with my fingernail, it cracks. I've also noticed her egg production has slacked off, she's laying 3 a week now.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this the start of problems, like internal laying? She's fine otherwise, healthy, runs around, comes for treats, eating fine, etc.

2. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
  3. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Thanks for trying, but she's been without treats also and the eggs are the same.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Thanks Judy.

Her's mostly resemble the star cracks, which it says can be caused by age.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, not a Tums a day, just an emergency Tums once or twice when egg binding or sudden onset of thin shelled eggs happens. Kelly, yes, a Production Red of that age is probably starting up with egg issues, but extreme need for water and a molt will contribute to thin shelled eggs as well.

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Thanks Cyn! Good to know needing to molt can cause it too. (there's plenty of water, but it is hot out) I'll be looking to see what happens after she molts.

In the meantime, how do you give the tums? Crush it up with food?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I crush it up and stir into a couple tablespoons of plain yogurt. I'm treating one hen now like that now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by