Change in poop-weather or cocciodosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deacons, Oct 8, 2013.

1. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Long time lurker but first time poster...

I've read lots of threads on milky/foamy poop, which I experienced from almost all 8 of my backyard flock today. They range in age from about 6 months to about 1.5 years (only two old enough to lay). Never had a health problem, but didn't like what I saw this morning.

It started with lots of white foamy poop that "melted" into the ground like this (2 spots had touches of blood-not dark, thick, but light spots-no pics of the blood.)
    [​IMG]

Throughout the morning, things seem to be going in the right direction, but still far wetter and whiter than I usually see. here are a few more pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We've had two days of heavy rain-they are in a coop and run setup, but typically get 3-4 hours of free range per day. The past two days, they got at most 1 hr due to very bad weather. This means they were in the muddy run all day. I did pick poo but it's hard to feel you're getting it all in such soggy conditions. Their coop floor (sand/dirt combo) was dry and free of all poo. They have a covered dust bath area (sand/dirt/peat moss) also clean. Last night, a violent storm rolled through with heavy winds, lots of trees down, and big drop in temp.

This is all a long winded way of asking if:
    A. You'd chalk this up to nasty weather and keep an eye on them over the next day or so
    -or-
    B. worry about a cocciodosis outbreak due to the damp conditions and treat the whole flock.

Would love opinions!

2. deacons

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Also, everyone is perky, acting normal and thrilled to free range today now that it's sunny again.

Also, they regularly eat plain yogurt for "breakfast" every day.

3. deacons

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Just thought I'd update in case anyone reads this in the future. I am lucky enough to have two nearby vets who see chickens, and so I took two of them in (the ones with the loosest stool). He ran a bunch of tests on the fecal samples, and they came up clean for a variety of worms, cocci, e. coli, or any other nasties he could test for. He recommend a probiotic, which they are now getting. To be honest, for about a week after the vet visit, I didn't really see any change in the consistency of their poop, but it is finally starting to firm back up. Throughout it all, their behavior and appetite were normal, so I really have no idea what happened.

A few of the pullets started laying for the first time over the weekend, so I have no idea if hormonal changes related to laying could throw off their system like this- maybe some of you more experienced chicken keepers could answer that.

Overall though, right now everyone is acting normal, so I'm not going to worry too much until I see one of them take a turn for the worse. It's comforting to know that there is a vet available if needed, as I gather that can be difficult to find in many area.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by