Change of feed, will they adapt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DOnSoCalOC, Nov 15, 2011.

1. DOnSoCalOC

DOnSoCalOC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    My girls were eating an organic soy-free whole grain feed, nice and hearty. It is expensive to have it shipped to my neck of the woods, so I switched to an organic soy-free layer pellet feed. My girls looked at me like, "Yeah? You expect us to eat THAT?!" I am wondering if they will adjust to it? I did mix it in with what little I have left of the really good stuff, but just wondering??? Have you made a switch similar to what I just did?

Thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They hate change, but they adapt. They do not, never have, never will starve themselves to death.

That said, try moistening the pellets to soften them. Not soupy, just moist so the "glue" the pellet machine uses breaks down a bit. They may very well reject the pellet as much as the content.

3. DOnSoCalOC

DOnSoCalOC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Fred's Hens :

They hate change, but they adapt. They do not, never have, never will starve themselves to death.

That said, try moistening the pellets to soften them. Not soupy, just moist so the "glue" the pellet machine uses breaks down a bit. They may very well reject the pellet as much as the content.

Thanks! Sounds great! I will try that.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by