Change of locations?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrianT, Oct 25, 2010.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    The kids found 3 eggs in the coop yesterday. Our one bantam hen has been the only one laying. She always lays in the same nest box. The eggs that were found were in different place in the coop. We are pretty sure they were hers because of the color and size. She's a bantam so they are always small. Could one of the other hens be laying and she is sitting on them? Our confirmed layer was standing by them but wasn't sitting on them at the time the kids spotted them. Thanks.

2. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    Quote:wow wish i could help you out. all i can say is my hens were all laying in the nest boxes then every so often i would find an egg in a different location sometimes in the run sometimes on the coop floor. and they all were doing that once in a while, i just figured they couldnt hold it any longer and the nest box they wanted to use was occupied. is she acting broody, other than the stockpiling of eggs i mean.

3. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Quote:wow wish i could help you out. all i can say is my hens were all laying in the nest boxes then every so often i would find an egg in a different location sometimes in the run sometimes on the coop floor. and they all were doing that once in a while, i just figured they couldnt hold it any longer and the nest box they wanted to use was occupied. is she acting broody, other than the stockpiling of eggs i mean.

I can't really define broody as her behavior. She will sit on her eggs for a while and then go roam around and eat. Sometimes she will scream at the kids when they go in to the hen house while she is sitting on her egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by