1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Changed feed and not eating the same...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AshleyBelle, Aug 1, 2014.

1. AshleyBelle

AshleyBelle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    Bloomington, IN
    Hey peeps! So, my pullets (at least 2 of 6) just began laying at 18 weeks so we began feeding them later feed instead of chick starter/grower. We accidentally got pellets instead of crumbles and they don't go through near as much as quickly. Should I be worried that they don't eat as much? The pellets are of course bigger but instead of feeding them 2 or 3 times a day we are feeding them once and they still have some left when we go out the next morning. They have a very large area to range in the grass and eat bugs and such.

2. Big yellow

Big yellow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    Well, I think it's just the fact that it's a completely different feed, and it's bigger. They probobly get full faster. Plus, you let them free range, so they probobly eat tons of other stuff to. As long as they are eating the food, I think they're ok.

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Changing feed is ofter a problem, but changing food and to pellets might take a few days to settle out. If you can, it is always best to slowly change the percentage of new feed from 10% to 100% over the course of a week. They will get the message in a while and pick up eating once again.

RJ

4. Brad utah

Brad utah New Egg

Dec 27, 2015

5. Brad utah

Brad utah New Egg

Dec 27, 2015
    I'm having the same issue my chicken are not eating the new layer crumble so are you saying it might be a good idea to mix it . Half and half

6. Brad utah

Brad utah New Egg

Dec 27, 2015
    I'm having the same issue my chicken are not eating the new layer crumble so are you saying maybe mix it 50/50 ?

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    I always mix new feed with old, so there's a gradual transition. Also, there's less waste with pellets, so fewer pounds/week used. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by