Changed to, they arrived!(Crested Indian Runner duck eggs)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MagsC, Jan 15, 2010.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yay!!!!! I am getting six crested indian runner eggs!!!! I sure hope they hatch...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Exciting! Where did you get them from?

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Im jealous. They are so rare out here in Australia. I am driving 3 hours tomorrow to go see some adult ducks at an Auction- I say "see " as I want to buy one- but know I wont be able to afford to buy it.

I hope you do well with the eggs. They can have high mortality depending on genetics, but good luck,-and PLEASE can you post some picis of the babies you hatch?????

ETA " adult ducks ". I wouldnt drive that far just to see an egg lol.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am getting them from a person on eggbid though I have also seen them advertised on e-bay.
    Last year when I hatched a lot if Indian Runners out for my aunt, there was one crested in the bunch. Beautiful!!

5. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Good luck.

I got crested runner eggs a few months ago and I will never do crested ducks again. I had babies hatch that were crippled, slow, and one who had his brain exposed.

Never again... That was too much for me.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

eggy, was it just because they were crested or incubation problems?? thats sad [​IMG]

I've hatched crested mixed ducklings before. the drake was a crested runner (blue laced with choco) but non-showing, That might be why i had good luck.

I person ally REALLY LOVE the crested F&W runners...but not with the show stance, just the reject ones, lol.

7. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    It's because of the crested. When I contacted the person I got the eggs from she said that she just normally lets whoever breed with whoever, so crested ducks would breed with crested drakes and then there were problems. She had told me that "normally" the bad eggs just didn't hatch, but I just got unlucky and had ducklings that needed to be culled.

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I had a dozen crested duck eggs last year- and ended up with no live hatched. Same thing with that breeder- she didnt seperate pairs for breeding.

And as for the auction today- I didnt get there and the duck sold for half what I was wiling to pay. I wonder how long I will keep keeping kicking myself for. With any luck I might find out who bought it, and maybe get some offspring. They are gorgeous ducks.

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    The only experience I have had with hatching crested ducks is the crested indian runner and crested blue swedish I incubated last year.
    But I am sure going to try.[​IMG]

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    The eggs will be here tomorrow![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by