Changed watering container, now they won't drink

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tickbait, Aug 12, 2010.

1. tickbait

tickbait Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2009
    We had a 4 or 5 gallon white plastic top container with a red round trough that broke so yesterday I bought a 5 gallon galvanized waterer and they won't drink out of it. I've changed to middle of run and lower that before. Nothing. I tied garden hose tot he top with a trickle of water coming down the container into the trough so they see and hear it's water but they just drank from the wet ground, not once from container. Before I painted it white and red like old plastic, I'd like to ask for suggestions. KC hit 100 something today so I need to do something quickly and permanent. The sun degrades the plastic so I like the change but they sure don't. Thanks all.

2. tickbait

Jun 21, 2009
    Now that I sat it on the ground and not on a cinder block they where able to look down into the water and they started drinking. I'll learn [​IMG]

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    That's funny:lol: Just move it up gradually and they will probably still remember there is water in it! We are in Iowa not too far from you. This heat is out of this world. It's the worst in the coop at night. Good luck to you and your chickens----------stay cool!

4. tickbait

Jun 21, 2009
    Yeah, once they saw water they went right to it. I hung it back where the other waterer was and no hits. I'm moving it closer to where I like to hang it as before and I'll raise it little by little. Like I say, I'm a learnin. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by