Changes in breathing in the heat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by annecreates, Jul 22, 2011.

1. annecreates

annecreates Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    The bad heat wave has hit VA.... and in addition to the normal breathing with mouths open, one of my hens is making a snoring sound.... she's sleeping. Is this OK, or should I be worried? My flock is all stressed out... we lost a hen about a week ago. She just vanished... no sign of her at all. The heat has made them slow down with egg laying quite a bit. The loud breathing has me concerned, though....

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    give them ice water

3. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Give ice water...Ispray my run down with water and make it muddy they like the cool dirt try a water mister good luck

4. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    It's bad here in ne north Carolina too. In addition to what was already suggested I also froze water filled milk jugs and placed them near where my birds congregate for social hour. Once they realized they radiated coolness they huddled around them. I also froze cut up fruit and offered frozen corn kernels for snacks throughout the day. The frozen snacks perked them right up!

5. annecreates

annecreates Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    I have been giving them ice water twice a day, which they definitely like. I made some ice blocks last night and set them out this morning. They haven't figured them out yet, though.... the milk jug idea is a good one. I may try that! My hen's still breathing funny, though. Thanks for the suggestions! I hope today is the last really hot day!

6. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    It's real hot in Arkansas atm. The high for yesterday was 112. I keep the water cold and the girls are hanging out under the porch in the cool dirt but I have noticed some odd breathing in my biggest birds. The two roosters and the larger hens are making a rattling sound by the end of the day. I was scared they might be coming down with a respiratory infection, could it be the heat?

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I just read of a problem with aspergillosis causing breathing problems. It comes from spores in wet hay or straw -- also called brooder pneumonia, I believe. I woner if this is what has happened to you, expecially if you've been wetting litter to keep them cooler.

8. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    No wet litter. My birds free range and under the porch is dry. There is a water hose mister under the tree but that is grass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by