Changes in egg sizes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicky Joy, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    We've been getting eggs for about two weeks now. Eight hens and getting 7 eggs a day. Other than the big double yolkers most of the eggs are pretty small. Will the egg size increase as the chickens mature?

2. Chicky Joy

Jun 22, 2008
    Also, I read that the double yolk eggs occur with young hens as their systems are not quite regular and will sometimes release two yolks at a time. Will the double yolk eggs therefore be less of an occurence as the hens get older? Anyone get double yolk eggs from older hens?

3. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    You're lucky to be receiving 7 eggs a day. I have 8 girls and I'm getting 2 eggs a day so far. How old are yours? Mine are just turning 6 months this week. I received one double yolker so far. I was so excited [​IMG] I think the double yolkers are a hit and miss kind of thing. I had chickens growing up and we had hens lay double yolkers. They were a 1 or 2 years old. Good Luck!

4. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    I think they will get bigger. It has been a while since I had young hens, but I have some that are about 5 months now and their eggs are smallish. However, yesterday, there was a gigantic egg in the nest box- like a turkey egg! I haven't opened it to see if it has two yolks, but these girls are laying a lot of small double yolkers. Interesting to know that this is a young hen trait- thanks!

5. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    They definately get bigger. My girls are about 6 months now and the one that's been laying the longest (about a month), her eggs are slowly increasing in size. And once, for no apparent reason, two of them laid giant eggs on the same day. That was fun, but the gradual consistant increase will come!

6. Chicky Joy

Jun 22, 2008
    Quote:Mine are just over 22 weeks. We got the first egg 20 weeks to on the dot. There was a gradual increase in quantity. It does seem that there is a gradual increase in size as well. I'm hoping it keeps up.

I'm going to save a few double yolkers for my sister-in-law. She's slightly intrigued by them and mentioned she hasn't had fresh eggs in a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by