changes in eggs and production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Off island chickens, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Off island chickens

Off island chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Bluffton, SC
    I have 5 hens and 1 rooster. I added two of the hens about a month ago. Had been told they were laying. My other three continued to lay normally and the new ones began to lay now and then. However, their production has not been consistent and now someone (one of the new ones I am pretty sure) is laying on a roosting shelf and the shells are so thin they break before I can collect the eggs. And my original three hens are just laying sporatically. It is very very hot and humid here right now. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    What are you feeding them? Do they free range? Do you offer them free chioce oyster shell?How are they getting along?

The thin shell leads me to believe she is not getting the calcium she needs or perhaps not enough food. As far as the others slowing down,you answered your own question. Heat and humidity really slow things down for them. My girls, the first H and H day they laid 9 and the next day 6. The heat broke and 2 days later right back to 9. Heat really stresses them as well as humans so that behavior is normal. When it cools down they should get back up to speed.

3. Off island chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    Bluffton, SC
    I feed them laying pellets and throw in some cracked corn late in the day for a treat. I have begun (for a week or so )to offer oyster shell with the pellets. They free range for part of the day, maybe a couple of hours. they seem to get along ok. There us an easter egger who is tired of the rooster, but she still lays ok. Two Rhode Island Reds (the new ones) hang together more than with the others, but there is no fighting, pecking, etc. Any thoughts?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They go through spells and the heat is awful, at least in most of the country.

I'd even change layer feed, if this persists. Sometimes if you've been consistently feeding one brand, a change to a different formula produces some positive results. It is not just the stated amount of calcium offered either. Sometimes they seem to have a harder time processing or taking up the calcium.

I'd lay off that corn completely until this straightens out, btw. Just my experience. Up the greens like broccoli and cabbage leaves, fresh green grass and things of that nature if you have a garden. This time of year, the hens here eat pretty well. [​IMG]

5. Off island chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    Bluffton, SC
    Thanks, Fred's hens. I bought some laying mash a month or so ago and they did not seem to like it. Used it as scratch with the corn and went back to the pellets. Maybe the feeding is the problem. I will try your suggestions. They sound pretty on target. And, perhaps the very hot weather and lack of rain are also an issue. They are drinking lots of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by