Changes in my flocks eating habits has me concerned.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Joan71, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Joan71

Joan71 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    I am confused. My 4 girls (1 yr old) all of a sudden are so hungry. The amount of food and treats that I was giving them, just does not get the job done this week. They have ate 3 times the feed that I usually give them. They eat all their greens, etc and then squack for more. They seem to be genuinely hungry. Could they be starting to prepare their bodies for molting? That's all I can think of. They are eating and drinking extra. The oyster shells and grit disappeared very quickly. They are laying their eggs each day. They do seem to be scrapping with each other more than usual. They have a great big yard to exercise in, so they are not confined in too small an area. Maybe some of you can shed some light on this situation. Thanks for any help you can provide. Joan

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They should be eating a lb a day or maybe a bit more than that (4 hens). Could squirrels/birds/rodents be eating their feed as well?

3. Joan71

Joan71 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    I will check the bowl size I use to see how much feed it holds pound wise. They are healthy, happy and doing well. It was like a sudden growth spurt or something. The chickadees eat the grain that the hens drop on the ground in their outside run. I haven't seem an sign of rodents, or squirrels in their overnight coop. But I will keep an eye on them. I let them out to free range today. They helped scratch up the garden spots and loosen the soil around my flowers.

Thank you for responding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by