Changing Bearded dragon cage to Broody quarters..PIC's..updated

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Well i now have two hens that have decided to go broody and all my girls are driving them NUTS and even eating the eggs !!!![​IMG] .....this morning i went in and my little bantam was refusing to move from her nest box and another hen was laying on top of her.....so my wonderful hubby is now modifying a bearded dragon cage he made for our sons lizard .years ago ..the lizard now has moved on to a happier home and some cool friends to hang with.....Hubby is working on the cage now....he's cutting a hole in the top to place a heat light that will hang on the outside of cage....and he's making a partition down the middle out of chicken wire so the girls can see each other and still be separated because they will be out side of the insulated coop in the uninsulated part..still cold here.....away from the rest of the flock.....and then he's making two door's made out of chicken wire on the front ...removing the glass....If anyone has any suggestions please fill free to tell me...
    Gee I am glad we kept the cage....I just knew it would come in handy ....heres a before photo...with Viper the Lizard..he was a baby and thats our cat Minou checking the little beast out....and I'll post photo's when hubby has finished..[[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Finally figured out how to put these pictures up properly[​IMG] Here's the completed project...now I just have to clean it out and find some more fertile eggs and get the girls moved in...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You don`t need the heat lamp and it`s better if they can`t see each other. Otherwise, it sounds like a good idea.

3. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Right now there in nest boxes right next to each other....Its actually Mom and one of her adopted eggs she hatched out this past spring....

4. MHF

MHF Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Make sure that you sterilize it very well, as lizards can carry some very bad germs and stuff.

5. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Wow never even thought of that...I wonder if watered down bleach work?

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    thats gonna make a nice brooder.[​IMG]

7. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Hubby and I are having a little disagreement.....go figure......He's thinking I should keep the glass on ...I am thinking it would be too hot even without a heat lamp.....on each side of the cage there is a small wire square mesh window.....but not enough air flow...I know he's thinking of the girls sitting on their eggs in the cold....the place where the brooder is going is completely closed in but not insulated....
    He has finished this project !![​IMG] and has put the two wire covered doors on the front of the brooder but we still can place the glass back in....okay what do you think....I'll post updated photo's later....

8. MHF

MHF Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Quote:10% bleach should work.

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I had my dragon in a 50 gallon breeder tank. When she passed I converted it to a chick brooder. Its the best. Just a little bleach and I have had no problems.

10. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Do you think I should put some peel floor tiles on the bottom?....hubby had used a marine varnish on the wood...he doesnt think water should penatrate the wood?....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by