changing broomfield city code.

jaclynsealy

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
I live in Broomfield and want raise chickens but the current city code prohibits backyard chickens in single-family detached dwellings. I am looking for other poeple in the area that would also be interested in helping me change the current code. I have talked with the city planner and he has given me some advice as to how to get this done. Although, I must admit it is a little intimidating! If you're interested please reply and maybe we can get something done.

I am also up for any advice; so if you have anything to help me please let me know.

We live in Broomfield also, and are very interested in having a couple of back yard chickens. I would love to get involved in changing whatever ordinances we can. We're heading down to the city building today - I am totally new at this and have no idea where to start. I'm hoping some kind city worker there will point us in the right direction. If you have some ideas already, I'd love to help!

I would also be interested. I have been talking about this for a couple of years, and since Denver has changed its code I think that we have a better chance. Let me know what I can do, or how we can get together to help with this.

Dumb question here - but I assume we're talking about Broomfield, CO, right? I don't know that any other state has a city with such a silly name, but just thought I'd check.

I too, would be interested in raising 3 laying hens. City municipal codes are really against it though. Could several of us send letters in? Or even go before city council?

Hello from Arlington VA, where zoning ordinances prohibit almost everyone from owning chickens- no one has yards big enough!

I'm involved with a group called The Arlington Egg Project. They are working to have the county ordinances changed to allow for a limited number of hens (no roosters). Check out their website: http://www.arlingtoneggproject.org You might get some ideas on how to approach communications with the city and with fellow supporters.

Good luck!

Yes, Nebride, we are talking about Broomfield CO. I don't think that I have heard of any other town with that name either, but there are lots of Bloomfields around. Thank you K3 for the great website. I think that we get a few people together and should write up a proposal, using some of the ideas that we all have and some from the arlingtoneggproject and see if we can go before the City Council. I know someone who was on the BOE and maybe they could help us figure out how to do this, or I suppose. . . that we could just call the City and ask how to do this. I think that we have a pretty good shot at it since Denver recently changed their ordinances. I can't see what we would have to loose--if they say no, we can just get more people and try again.

Hi! We are looking for information on how your fight is going. Have you heard anything from the city stating if they are considering it at all? We would love to find out what the status is. It is very difficult to find out anything on the city web sites. Thanks!

Newbie member here. I, too, am interested in having 2-3 laying hens in my yard, probably with a small moveable coop (don't want the city's folks thinking that a "chicken tractor" is motorized in any way). I'd like the eggs, but during the summer, I'd REALLY like some organic bug control in my garden!

Any forward movement with Broomfield Council? Pow wow between us like-minded individuals to develop a game plan, appointment to work with council, anything going on that I could be aware of and part of?

I saw something in a book the other day--I think it was one of Joel Salatin's--that said, "Just make friends with your neighbors and they won't turn you in if you share healthy chicken with them..." (or something like that, I'm absolutely paraphrasing), but some of my neighbors wouldn't care; they'd throw me under the bus in a heartbeat. *sigh* Anyone else brave enough to risk a run-in with Animal Control?

Thanks!

Hello Broomfielders interested in backyard chickens! This is my first post on the forums here, though I refer to this site regularly when I have questions about my chickens. I live in Broomfield and have had five chickens for two years now. Earlier this month we got a visit from animal control and were given a month to re-home our girls. We currently have a deadline of Sept 10, and have made arrangements for them, but are doing everything we can to change the laws in the meantime. Our representatives on city council are putting forth a proposal this Tuesday the 28th to do a study on the issue of backyard chickens, this is the first step toward creating an ordinance to allow chickens in Broomfield and we are very excited about this. The following is a message that I've sent out via email and Facebook to garner as much support as possible. I would love to have as many people contacting their council reps as possible. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thank you!

Howdy! I am writing this to tell you about recent happenings with our little flock of chickens and how you might be able to help others interested in backyard chickens. Two years ago we wanted to get chickens and after we got approval from our immediate neighbors, proceeded with these plans. We have really enjoyed having them. It's been a great learning experience for the boys and of course we love getting 4-5 eggs a day to supply our family's egg needs and also those of our elderly neighbors.

This past week an Animal Control officer came to the door to let us know that we'd been reported as being in violation of a law that prohibits farm animals from being in city limits. We currently have 30 days to re-home our hens and making progress toward that end. However we're not going down without a fight. We got in touch with our City Council Representatives and at their encouragement attended a Council meeting tonight, along with our next door neighbor, to ask them to consider creating an ordinance to allow backyard chickens in Broomfield. Of course we would love to save our own flocks of chickens, but our focus at this point is changing the law so that, whether it happens in time to help us personally or not, others will be able to have the same positive experience as we have with our chickens.

Here is the current situation. In two weeks from today, on August 28th at the regularly scheduled 6pm meeting, the City Council will be voting on whether or not they will commit to do a study on allowing backyard chickens. If they do the study, an actual vote on the matter would likely be in September. Here's how you can help right now: The council members will vote on whether or not to do the study based on how much interest there is among their constituents to create the ordinance to allow backyard chickens.

If you live in Broomfield and feel as we do that residents should be able to have backyard chickens(within reason of course - no roosters, limits on #s, etc), would you consider contacting your Council representative sometime before August 28 and let them know that you are in favor of chickens in Broomfield? Our representatives(Ward 2) have been very responsive to emails, I have listed phone numbers as well.

I don't want anyone to feel pressured to act, I am tagging only those that have had positive reactions to our own flock. I would love it if you would tag or share this with any other Broomfield resident that would be willing to take part.

Thank you sincerely for your time!
Shanelle Johnson

Find out what ward you live in here: http://www.broomfield.org/maps/wardmap.shtml

City Council Members:
Ward 1
Bob Gaiser 720.352.4538 [email protected]
Todd Schumacher 720.840.7145 [email protected]
Ward 2
Mike Shelton 303.269.1946 [email protected]
Dennis P. McCloskey 303.489.0132 [email protected]
Ward 3
Kevin Jacobs 303.912.3401 [email protected]
Sam Taylor 303.931.6477 [email protected]
Ward 4
David Jurcak 303.926.1848 [email protected]
Greg Stokes 303.466.6710 [email protected]
Ward 5
Wayne L. Anderson 303.324.4566 [email protected]
Martha Derda 303 466-6624 [email protected]

I have written emails to both representatives, and also talked to my neighbor who also wants to have chickens. We all have other things going on tomorrow, so unfortunately will not be able to attend; please be sure to keep us posted.

Meanwhile, we will sure keep you in our thoughts with your little flock--I hope everything turns out well. We'll look for updates!!!

Back
Top Bottom