Changing chick feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Motherhen410, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Motherhen410

Motherhen410 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2018
    I have 10 week old chicks and they have been eating mana pro medicated chick started, well ive only been getting it in these little bags and im just wanting to get bigger bags but I cant find any, so im wanting to switch feed, the mana pro says to feed up to 8 weeks.

what is the best way of changing feeds?

1. slowing mix the new feed in with the old feed (like you do with dogs and cats)

2. Just start feeding them the new feed.

Also what should they be eating now since there 10 weeks (I have 3 pullets and 1 roo)

2. SueT

SueT Crowing

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    You can mix the new w old. I like Purina Flock Raiser, I give it to all my chickens of every age. With you having only 4 chickens, tho, it will take a long time to use up a 50 lb bag, if that's what you have to buy. Check the date on the bag, get something less than 6 weeks old, and store it carefully. I divide mine into buckets lined with plastic bags and store them in the house, not the barn or basement.

PetesChicks and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  3. Motherhen410

Aug 7, 2018

I also have 2 older hens, that are about 3 years old, it was one of my hens that hatched the babies

Chick-N-Fun and SueT like this.
  4. SueT

SueT Crowing

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Well, then you can feed them all the same feed if you get Purina Flock Raiser or another brand of all flock type feed. Hens can have oyster shell on the side.....

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  5. Motherhen410

Aug 7, 2018

Thank you, I got my hens when they where 9 months old, so ive never had chicks before

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  6. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    You could get also get 'grower' feed..... that's also an option. Tractor Supply carries them in 20 pound bags (Dumor brand) that will last you a bit longer than those 5 pound Pro Mana chick starter and save you a bunch of money, it's the same price as that 5 pound feed, I think.

SueT likes this.
  7. Grits&Eggs

Grits&Eggs Chirping

Apr 16, 2018
    Florida
    Mine ate non-medicated chick starter until they started laying, 17 weeks, since they had oyster shells separate they did fine with a cut-over.

8. Motherhen410

Aug 7, 2018

I bought that, starter/grower 20lbs bag, I planned on getting the all flock feed when my older hens run out of food

9. PetesChicks

PetesChicks Songster

Aug 21, 2016
    Southbridge, MA
    I feed all my chickens Purina Flock Raiser also, with oyster shell on the side. They get a heaping scoop each of fermented (I use a kitchen mixing spoon) every day and have dry available 24/7. I went through a 2 or 3 bags of Dumor Chick Feed when I first got my babies this spring and switched them to the Flock Raiser after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: