Changing color of spikes, waddle and earlobes??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickie<3, Sep 19, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Both my barred rocks are 16 weeks old..1 is not red at all yet and one has red waddle, earlobes and spikes..but sometimes its flaming red and sometimes it's not so red. Is it related to their mood? Is the red a sign she is almost ready to lay?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Sounds like she's getting close to laying [​IMG]

3. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    My 5 pullets are almost 18 weeks old and they are all getting the red combs & wattles, some redder and larger than others. I also notice the color going lighter to darker, I was thinking it had to do with the weather. When it's hot vs. cooler it seems their color is darker, when they relax and get cooler, they tend to be lighter red. I'm waiting for mine to lay too! From what I've seen on this website, chickens can start laying at around 18 wks but sometimes it can be 25 wks! I've seen one person say their hen laid at 14 wks! That seems a little young! I think the norm is about 20 wks. Good Luck! Let me know when you get your first egg and I'll let you know![​IMG]

4. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    DEE88...I read about the 14 week old laying too..thats crazy. I just wrote on a different post...THIS IS SICK..it's like anticipating a spectacular vacation u planned for over a year..but its not a vacation..IT'S AN EGG!! and i cant wait til my baby lays an egg..i will not be able to control myself. I will def let u know..and please let me know when urs lay..u prob will lay b4 me...so i can b excited 4 u then know mine are just behind urs.

5. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Well, as everyone else already said, it's just her about to lay, but I'm almost certain it's related to 'mood' too. For example, I have a turkin hen whose neck and face is pale most of the time, but turns a bright red when she gets exited or 'indignant', such as when you pick her up. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. schatze17

schatze17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Well, we have 4 Barred Rocks that are about 22-23 weeks old. One started laying a couple weeks ago, and she is the one with the palest looking comb, waddle and earlobes. The other three are much redder and haven't started laying yet.

[​IMG]

7. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    I guess you never can tell, red comb, white comb, white wattle, red wattle, no eggs, no eggs, no eggs...

8. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    My BR's are 21 weeks old and have not started laying yet. I notice that the color began changing according to their mood, from a pale pink/orange when they are relaxed and calm to a deep red when they are agitated or nervous. Now I have a couple who are a darker red all of the time, though none are squatting. They all did spend a bit of time inside the coop this morning and my wife said they were raising quite a fuss, so hopefully they were checking out the new nesting box and practicing singing the egg song to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by