Changing colors???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flspnr, Oct 13, 2011.

1. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I have a bantam chicken, unsure on age and it's possibly an OEGB. Her comb's gotten really red in the last week or so, so she's about to start laying, but that doesn't give an exact age. She's about the same size as my self blue, so I'm guessing around 19 weeks.

Two days ago, she had white feathers. Every single one was white.

Last night I went to let them free range a bit and thought I noticed something in the middle of Snowflake's back. It was a dark spot so I panicked. She's been getting along with her new roommates for a couple of weeks now, but maybe she made them mad or something? [​IMG]

I picked her up and gently brushed the feathers near the dark spot aside. No blood. Simply, a brown feather. I looked again, and yup, my all white bird has grown one single brown feather.

Um, what?[​IMG]

Do birds do that? I know that their colors get situated as they're growing - I've got a BR that's black with white spots and I know that will change to black and white kinda stripey looking. But I didn't know an all white bird that's been all white her whole little life so far and is close to laying would suddenly grow a brown feather.

I tried to get a pic, but she will not sit still for a picture of her back. I do have a pic of her from a couple of weeks ago though:

[​IMG]

The only things that have changed since that pic is her face is redder and the one single brown feather right between her shoulders...

Any ideas as to why she's changing colors, or, what breed she may be? Since apparently she's not a white OEGB with a brown feather, lol.

2. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    I was hoping that someone had a good answer to this question. I have a hen that has started changing colors as well, but she has been injured AND sick. She has come close to not making it a couple of times now...I wondered if her feather changes had to do with her illness/injuries.

3. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Thanks for the reply, even if you don't have an answer. [​IMG] for you chicken, sounds like a real trooper! I hope she's fine and healthy from now on!

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    Depending on breed, it is not uncommon for color changes. You should see my pheasants! The first eight to ten months, the cocks look just like the hens, then they suddenly start changing colors. Very dramatic in some cases.

5. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Okay! Thanks! I know they start out as balls of fluff and sometimes take a bit to come in to their full color but the girl I got her from said she was always white and I've held her and loved her and never seen any feather but a white one on her yet!

I was kinda shocked. McKenely5, I hope this helps you too.

6. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Here is a pic of my Sesame. She used to be all the dark rusty red color...recently, these spots have come up. Like I said before, she has had some health issues and I wonder if that has something to do with it.

[​IMG]

7. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Weird. I have a Jersey white Giant-all white-except a single black feather that mysteriously appeared a couple of months ago. Ill just consider it a beauty mark!

8. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    McKenely, she's beautiful!

Egg Rookie, beauty mark? I like that! [​IMG]

9. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    Quote:This is totally off subject but I saw where you compared her to your self blue....is this a self blue old english banty? I have a pair...unsure of age...with no eggs yet. I love them and want more but the guy I got them from got them on a trade and doesnt have and cant get anymore. He said they were very common years ago and he bred them but quit because they were sooo common. Now he wants to buy mine back as we can't find ANY AT ALL HERE. My question is do you have breeding stock and would you sell hatching eggs ?

10. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    This is totally off subject but I saw where you compared her to your self blue....is this a self blue old english banty? I have a pair...unsure of age...with no eggs yet. I love them and want more but the guy I got them from got them on a trade and doesnt have and cant get anymore. He said they were very common years ago and he bred them but quit because they were sooo common. Now he wants to buy mine back as we can't find ANY AT ALL HERE. My question is do you have breeding stock and would you sell hatching eggs ?

DixieBeast, I only have the one girl. No roo. I'm not allowed where I live, plus, I just randomly picked 2 chicks out of a mixed breed box! Plus, she's not laying yet, even if I had a roo. [​IMG] Sorry I can't help! I am still really new at this chicken thing, lol, and when I picked out my first two girls in June, I just picked who I thought was pretty and would be a girl. [​IMG]

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/oegbantams.htm#selfblue (Look about halfway down the list of bantams, and you'll see the self blue)

Cackle Hatchery has some, but they're sold out right now. I've never ordered from them (never ordered chickens....yet). Perhaps they can help you though, or you or your trader friend can order some when they get more in stock? They have a minimum of 25 for a few months, then 15 the rest of the year.

Sorry hun, good luck finding some more!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by