changing comb color

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RanchoRaza, Oct 23, 2013.

1. RanchoRaza

RanchoRaza New Egg

Jul 22, 2013
    Kern County
    I have a RIR who has been coughing/sneezing. She doesn't have any issues with dried mucus or cloudy eyes. SHe acts normal except for the coughing. She is about to start laying soon and the weather has gone from warm, to cool to warm. She makes a loud, agiated sounding "crow." I did notice today that her comb had some color chnge . Red to some parts purple. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Is it very dusty in her world? Sometimes coughing and especially sneezing is just reacting to dust or even pollen. If your flock has picked up a respiratory disease, you should see symptoms in the others at some point. I hope that's not the case, but here is a good overview of them if needed.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Infectious bronchitis, a virus, and cause "chirping" or sneezes with few other symptoms in grown hens other than nasal secretions. It is listed in the above link. Chickens with large combs can have occasional bluing at times. Just check it at different times of the day. A persistent blue comb can show respiratory or heart disease or failure.

4. RanchoRaza

RanchoRaza New Egg

Jul 22, 2013
    Kern County
    The color has returned to normal. The occasional cough/sneeze continues. I will continue to monitor. Thanks for the advise.

5. RanchoRaza

RanchoRaza New Egg

Jul 22, 2013
    Kern County
    It is not dusty. It is possible that allergies could be the culprit. Other than the occasional sneeze or cough she is healthy. I have not seen any symptoms that might indicate a serious infection. Thanks for the advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by