1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Changing egg racks on a LG #6300

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Epona142, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
  2. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I just plain can't do it. I have to make my husband do it. Maddeningly, he has no problem with the procedure whatsoever. [​IMG]

3. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

I HATE changing those racks! Get one out, put another one in, and three more fall out. I HATE IT. I think next time I may try duct taping the danged things.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You take one of the two screws out that hold the motor in, I believe it's the one closest to the 'inside'. This will make the motor turn without coming off completely. You pull up on the motor, and all the racks will turn to where they are straight up and down. Then you take the end out of the turner arm, pull the other 'peg' end out, and voila! Just be sure to do them one at a time, or they will be a pain to get them all back in! I took mine apart to clean it not too long ago, I almost never got it back together!

5. Epona142

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Thank you so much shelleyd2008! I've got it down now. I can't wait to order the quail racks, and then, the eggs!

[​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    What kind of quail are you getting? I know the quail racks hold more eggs (20 compared to 7), but unless they are button eggs they will fit in the regular chicken racks. You wouldn't need the quail racks unless you want to hatch a whole lot of them.

7. Epona142

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Coturnix Quail.

I had thought about that, but wouldn't they roll around terribly?

I really would like to hatch out as many as possible too, but I am always open to listening and learning more.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No they won't roll around at all, and if you get the jumbo coturnix, there's a chance the eggs will be too big for the quial turner. The small holes in the bottom of the cups are perfect for the eggs to sit in. I have some jumbo coturnix eggs right now that are about the same size as the eggs I get from my bantams.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  9. Epona142

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    I think these are standard, they will be from luvmychix. They will really fit in the regular turner? Because if so I could ask luvmychix if I could just buy 40 at a time and have more money for eggs. [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yep, they fit right in the cups. You will need a thermometer that sits pretty low in the bator, I use one of those little white ones from walmart, not sure of the name. I have had better luck with quail hatching if the temps are a bit on the cool side, and the humidity at least at 50% for the first 15 days. Just a tip [​IMG] In my still air bator I kept the temp around 99 degrees, and I had 28 out of 48 eggs develop to full term. 18 of the eggs were clear. I had 19 hatch, and that's only because I bumped the temp down to the mid 80s when they were hatching and didn't notice it; otherwise, I'm almost certain they would have all hatched! Only 2 were early quitters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by