Changing Feed - Grit Requirements?

Rocco768

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Howdy,

New to this so if there is a thread covering it, I missed it, I did however look first. When we got our 4 chickens, we were provided a small bag of feed. I found a supplier near us and went to purchase some more as they eat like starving teenagers. The feed store asked me what kind I wanted and i gave the deer in the headlights look... So I bought 2 kinds, starter / grower and regular poultry feed. The later seems a bit more refined. Since they have not started laying eggs yet, do they need the chick food still? It seems to have a bit more texture to it? I read something about sand and grit but was not sure how it all fit together...

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

he.gif

I think you feed the starter until they start laying then switch to the layer feed. Im still learning about grit so I dont know if they need grit with the layer feed. I know they dont need it with the starter though.

I am not an expert
idunno.gif

ETA... I read that you feed them starter feed until they are 8-12 weeks then grower feed until they lay then layer feed. You should not give them layer feed if they are not laying as it has stuff in it their bodies cant use.
They need grit if they are eating anything else besides feed. Like bugs or greens because they dont have teeth and the grit goes in their stomach and helps grind up the food. If they free range they dont need as much. You can just mix it in with the feed or sprinkle it on the ground where they eat.
smile.png

Last edited:
Yea, I think Ill go back to the starter food. I just looked this morning and I noticed that their poo is a bit wattery now. Sad that my life has boiled down to inspecting chicken poo, but I digress...

Ill go back to the starter grower and see what I can find out about the Grit issue as we move forward.

Thanks for the responses.

lol.png

Quote:
Rocco, you will find quickly that you'll be doing a lot of poo inspecting. It can become an obsession! Out of habit I always take a peek.

Grit is used anytime you are feeding, or they are free ranging, anything other than the commercial feed. Grains, greens and scraps need to be ground up in the chicken's gizzard and grit is what they use for that. Grit comes in two sizes, chick and adult size. I mix both together (they are 13 weeks old) and leave it in a bowl so they have it when they want it. Mine eat too much as far as I can see but they know better than I do so I will continue to keep it available on a free choice basis.

Quote:
Stay with your start/grow until point of lay-then switch to layer feed (about 4 weeks before 1st egg if starter feed was medicated)--usually about 18 weeks--and as other poster stated keep chick grit available for them at all times also--so they have it in gizzard to help with grinding food...
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom