Changing Feed..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AshleyNicole06, Apr 4, 2018.

1. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    How old until you can switch the duckling feed?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

What are you feeding them now chick starter? I think your to go to grower at 3 weeks but I have a better idea why not just buy Purina Flock Raiser crumbles and then you never have to change feed. Just put out oyster shell for the ladies when they start laying.

3. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    Yes, chick starter. Do i need oyster shell all the time for the girls? (if i have any..lol) what does it help? I wasn't sure when to switch.
    I need to get the bigger ducks back to eating normal feed. They won't touch it..but they'll eat corn.

4. Miss Lydia

Don't feed them corn they will eventually start eating their reg food. or gradually remove the amount of corn your feeding with more feed. till they are only eating feed. Corn will make them fat if that is all your feeding them and doesn't have much nutritional value.

Yes keep oyster shell out all the time once your females[hopefully you'll have some] start to lay. It should be in a separate bowl for feed. Drakes may nibble but they won't eat it.

5. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    Okay. thanks. I haven't fed the babies anything other than chick starter.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

I was talking about your adult ducks eating corn not your babies lol

If you want to give your babies a treat try some finely chopped Romaine lettuce but be sure to put out grit if you give them anything other than their chick starter.

AshleyNicole06 likes this.
  7. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    When can you feed ducklings cracked corn?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Unless you giving them grit they shouldn't have cracked corn. It really isn't that beneficial to their over all health either. Especially when they need a lot of good nutrients while they are growing so fast. Corn is a carb which is good for winter since it can help them keep warm on cold nights.

9. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    Okay, just checking.. No one listens to me and want them to be healthy. Lol although I know it was mixed a little with their food. we have to get more food today.. They have gone through a whole bag already.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Pick up some chick grit because that is how they grind their feed up in their crops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: