Changing feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Otter22, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Otter22

Otter22 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Northern California
    I have found a feed store in my area that can get me a higher protein no medicated purina game bird.

It should be in this week. I was wondering what is the best way to change feed all at once or is it better to mix the old and the new for awhile.

I have almost a new bag of the old but not very happy with it and would like to get them on the new food asap.

Thanks,

John

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Mix it for a few days, every day reduce the old feed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:X2

In the past when switching I have mixed it then slowly gone to just the new feed. Seems to work well.

Dave

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:There is no need to do this unless it is medicated and they will have a withdraw. They will notice the change and egg production will drop anyway. What kind of quail are they? It will not hurt to do this, but you don't have to unless yo want to.

5. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Really, that is what I do.......

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It won't hurt them, but all quail don't really like change in lighting, surroundings, cage mates, feed, ext.

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Mine don't seem to even notice. Let their food dish run empty for a few hours. As gluttonous as the little beasties are they will dive right in...

I can't comment on whether or not it will affect egg production....small numbers of birds here.

8. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    When I changed from a turkey grower to Purina they layed like crazy, but when I switched to KTA it dropped for a week.

9. daseymay

daseymay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    I am from a small town and all I was able to find for my almost now 2 week old coturnix was 28% medicated game bird. I do plan to cull and eat my smaller birds and wondering about how long it takes for the medicated feed to leave the birds system or possible for eating? I am feeding a 20% non-medicated feed to some older birds, but felt that the protein was low for the young birds. Any ideas or suggestions?

10. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You can add soybean meal to up the protein. You should be able to eat them after a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by