1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

changing feed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tashadavis, Aug 24, 2013.

1. tashadavis

tashadavis New Egg

May 21, 2013
    birmingham uk
    We have 6 layers 3 goldlines and three derbyshire redcaps We have been feeding them layers pellets but the company We use has changed there natural feed to g.m.o so i bought a nautural mazie and wheat feed not realising it would be lacking the calicum they need We only have two layers at the min as there all still young the oldest marjorie i noticed layed a soft egg as i was cleaning them out Last night this morning was the same sadly i didnt get to clean this mornings one up in time ive researched and i am ordering some oyster grit and feeding them cooked crush egg shells this morning i also have given them milk ive added the crushed shells to there mazie and wheat and ive added it to the greens n cherry toms they had this morning fingers crossed this will work and We will start seeing hard eggs again

2. aayto1

aayto1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Queensland Australia
    Feed them a good diet of cracked corn which is protein they need to produce good eggs

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Maize IS corn. hahahaha

Anyway, what you're doing sounds fine. The calcium doesn't have to come the layer feed. You can feed back shells, as you're doing and providing dairy products, calcium rich greens, etc.

Still, you may find you need to buy crushed oyster shells or other pure calcium carbonate product and blend in a touch every other day. Best regards.

4. tashadavis

tashadavis New Egg

May 21, 2013
    birmingham uk
    Thanks I'm going to be getting them some crushed oyster grit this week we had another rubber egg this morning good news is there not eating the rubbery egg and we just had a hard egg from our second layer hoping Marjorie gets hard eggs again soon as she produces some nice double yolkers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by