Changing feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TattooChicken, Mar 6, 2014.

1. TattooChicken

TattooChicken New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    Denton, TX
    Hey BYC! Coming from Denton Texas here. I have a question. At what age should I switch from chick feed to adult feed? The bag of chick feed recommends 18 weeks old to switch but I wanted some opinions first.

2. That's a good recommendation. Probably the best.

You can also switch AFTER the first egg is laid.

You can also keep em on your feed that you have until it runs out. Supplementing with free choice oyster shell.

Wish ya the best.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    My personal feelings on this is change NO earlier than 18wks :)

4. barbschickens

barbschickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2014
    Which is better for me to give to my 8 week old chicks, medicated feed or non medicated feed?

5. TattooChicken

TattooChicken New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    Denton, TX
    Personally I go with non-medicated. I try to keep my birds as "organic" as possible. Meaning I don't give them meds I let my baby chicks scratch in the yard if I can. Letting them eat from the ground helps boost their immune systems

6. barbschickens

barbschickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2014
    Okay. I want them to be as organic as They can..... thx! :)

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    I usually recommend not before you get the first egg which is what I used to do. However, I always have several ages in each flock and I obsess about excess calcium in non layers so I don't feed layer at all any more. I just make sure there is a container full of oyster shell next to each feeder and next to nests in each building.
    I have a 16% organic grower feed that is the base for all the birds. It's suitable for roosters, maturing birds and laying hens. To boost protein for chicks and molting birds I add fishmeal. 1 part 60% fishmeal to 10 parts 16% feed makes a 20% feed.
    Same here. Keeping bedding bone dry and feeders at least half full really negates the need for medicated feed.
    Adding a probiotic to the feed or water boosts them. Picking at the ground if not with healthy adults and getting probiotics from the hens' feces, they could get the wrong type of bacteria if their guts aren't already populated by good bugs.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by