Changing Food Diet for chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nemoandrunt, Apr 18, 2011.

1. nemoandrunt

nemoandrunt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hello! I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about when to change your chickens diet! Our chickens are about 2 months old and I am wondering when to change their diet...Any info would be much appreciated!!!
    Thank you! [​IMG]

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    They should be fed chick starter till they begin laying or are very close to POL, then switch to 16-18% layer pellets.

AL

3. nemoandrunt

Apr 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Great! Thanks for the feedback!!

4. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    what we do here in the cold climate is keep them on chick started for the first 8 weeks, then move them to grower till they get about to laying age 22-25 weeks for the breeds we have, then move them to layer feed. One on layer, we also give them free access to crushed oyster shell. I think they way to do is is the way others in your area do, as you can see the two of is differ on how we feed out chicks but we're in two different climates. Oklahoma gets hot in the summer, Alaska gets into the mid 70's and thats warm for us. [​IMG]

5. nemoandrunt

Apr 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    WOW! Chickens in Alaska! Thanks for the feedback, I am in Arizona so its already 95 degrees in April. I will check in with the feed store tomorrow! I appreciate it!

6. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    There are chickens all over Alaska. Up in Fairbanks where it gets -50 and down in the Juneau area that rains all the time. Just like in Nature, they live all over the world and survive all sorts of climates. They're hardier then most of us give them credit for.

You could go to the thread where am I where are you and go into the arizona page and ask those folks what sort of feed schedule they use, that would be your best bet to speak with those close to you that know what works for your area. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by