Changing my HOA's laws as a teenager

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by frt1235d, Feb 11, 2014.

1. frt1235d

frt1235d New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    Hello! I am a 14 year old boy living in the San Diego area, and over the course of a month I have learned to appreciate the greatness of chickens. My friends living a couple miles from me obtained them and they explain to me how fun it really is to raise them. Sadly, I asked my mom and the only thing that stands between the way of me and my very first chickens was the HOA in our community. They don't allow any sort of farm animals, and this has limited me. I don't usually like breaking rules or anything, but would they notice if i kept 4-5 chickens? Or should I start a petition? I am willing to put in time and effort to both allow chickens and to raise them.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Petition the crap out of it man! Get like 100-200. You need numbers to tell your city that you community wouldn't mind. Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to tell your neighbors that their would be some fresh eggs in their near future! Hope I helped!

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Technically you have no standing with the HOA since you are not the home owner. Do the petition drive, but your parents must be the ones to present the petition to the HOA.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The reality is that changing HOA CC&Rs is VERY difficult; nearly as difficult as changing the constitution. A petition will only force a vote (at best), not necessarily give you the right to own the birds you want.

What you might want to explore is whether your school has an FFA program that you could participate in, and possibly space to keep chickens THERE. Or whether your friend (and their parents) would be willing to board chickens for you (and in turn you would pay them $ or provide services to them--IN ADDITION to caring for your birds.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by