Changing over to new feed. (experts needed)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by our 5 chickie babies, Jul 8, 2010.

1. our 5 chickie babies

our 5 chickie babies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hello all I haven't had much luck getting answers to my questions on here but I am going to try again.I really think there are some experts on here that will lead me in the right direction. We are new to here and to chickens.Our babies are 13 weeks old and We want to get them off the medicated food since we were told they should start laying in Aug.
    I went to the feed store today and they said we should go to right to layer pellets.What do the experts say??

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I prefer to be safe and mix the feeds at first. Slowly mix it in, don't make an abrupt switch. I put in 1 cup of Layena to 3 cups of chick starter for the first couple days feed, then went to half and half, then 3 Layena to 1 chick starter - spread it out over about 8 days, I think-

I am sorry you didn't get answers before. Sometimes people just don't know an answer, and don't want to guess and confuse someone else. I am glad you tried again! Most people on here are really friendly and nice.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I take mine off the medicated chick starter feed at 8 weeks. They go on grower/finisher (all purpose) feed. The first batch of my chickens went on layer feed when they started laying.

However, now, because I have several ages of chickens out in the yard, everybody gets grower/finisher feed after 8 weeks of age, even the layers. I provide crushed oyster shell free choice; the pullets/hens which need it then take it.

Works well for me and mine.

4. our 5 chickie babies

our 5 chickie babies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Thank you so much for the responses.I am glad I decided to try again. We will use the mix in slowly method.
    Thanks again!!
    JIM&LINDY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by