Changing sex!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jak2002003, Apr 2, 2015.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Not sure if this is the right section to post this.

I think one of my hens is turning into a rooster![​IMG]

I posted a while back about my oldest hen (over 8 years old Japanese Bantam)..

She has been acting funny for a few weeks, and I wondered if she was going senile.

She keeps separating herself from the flock and wandering off.. far away.. alone.

A few weeks ago she seemed to go broody.. but stopped after 2 days. Since then her behaviour has got more strange.

I noticed today she had walked way over to the far side of our property.. a place none of my other chickens has ever ventured to.. (they usually stay in sight of their coop).

As I went out to get her I stopped and watched her as I noticed something for the first time.

Her comb was always floppy and hung to one side.... today it was BRIGHT red.. like a roosters comb.. and sticking up straight!!!!

As she walked she kept stopping.. standing up straight and clapping / flapping her wings like the rooster do when they are crowing. But she is not making a sound. She has her head held high and proud in the air too.. as she struts about.. she is not digging and looking for food.

I was struck how much her appearance has changed. She seemed to be getting older and slower and had dull feathers... but now her feathers have improved a lot.. her comb has changed and she has put on weight.. and muscle.

I am sure its the same chicken!!! She still has her old stiff toes and legs.

I hope this is not a sign of something going wrong inside her. I am very attacked to her as she is the only one of my original chickens left.. and she survived a horrific dog attack and several nasty diseases over the years.

I am going to be keeping an 'ear open' in case she starts to make crowing noises.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's not that unusual in older hens. Once the active ovary gets damaged they do turn into roosters. However they don't have testes so they are infertile boys.

3. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I will have to change her name!

If she does turn into a rooster will she try mating with the hens... and will she fight with the other roosters? Also can they actually start to crow?

Thanks

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
  5. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    thanks for that link.. it was very interesting... poor girl getting old now! Hope she lasts a few more years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by