Changing temps. How do they affect our ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zook, Jan 3, 2014.

1. zook

zook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I am sitting here in the midst of a blizzard and thinking about my ducks and turkeys out in the barn A very short time ago I had my drake breeding his girls then the temps dropped like they are now. Forecast for Monday is plus 10C or 50F. right now with the windchill is minus 1F. This fluctuation has to really mess up our birds. One day subzero freezing and then a few days later spring temps then back to cold. Long time duck keepers do you see any behavioral changes with extreme temp changes. here is my short term forecast. for today on.
    [​IMG]
    and Fahrenheit
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wow drastic weather fluctuations, and you know we've already talked about this, it was pretty warm here a couple weeks ago, my drakes started acting a bit frisky didn't see any actual mating though and still haven't but yesterday we were at 38* and my dominant drake was chasing his girls down and standing on them which seems to be typical behavior before actual breeding starts. today it's all of them trying to survive at 12* with -7 wind chill so nothing going on but hunkering down. I do think after observing mine first of this year that temp changes do affect breeding time also slow lengthening of daylight. I am thinking since mine prefer to be outside no matter the temps there won't be anything going on here till we're through this round of frigid weather. Oh and I even saw some of my girls going into the houses making indentions in the shaving which is unusual for this time of year, but this time of year is unusual in it self. First it was my youngest ducks playing Lets make a nest, then a couple of my older ones were in there.

3. leanback

leanback Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Indiana, USA
    ndiana, Our coldest winter in years today 8 degrees and colder tonight Duckies at the LAKE 50-60 +- I see they all stay together to keep warm like Penguins Antartica
    I suppose but still drives me crazy... (if they get out to eat they freeze? Do they not get out to eat for now until warm?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Crazy weather all over.

5. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Don't know how to respond...look at their energy balance....

Clint

6. LivinOnLove

LivinOnLove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I came on here to ask about the weather and ducks too...

We've had -10* already, but Monday is supposed to be a HIGH of -12*F. When do you become concerned with frozen/frost bit feet? We have a house for them, but they prefer to stay out during most of the day unless it's been cold and windy. We don't have ventilation set up, so I hate to lock them up for any amount of time.

On the eggs topic, we got out first egg a couple weeks ago on one of those crazy warm weekends after bitter cold. We've been getting 3-6 eggs most days since them. We're not complaining, but we were surprised because we thought that duck eggs were a warm weather thing. Happy to be getting them though!

Ruthann

Thought I'd add these too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    My flock absolutely behaves differently depending on weather. Frigid cold here too and lots of huddling happening here. My ducks are always eager to go outside in the morning tho. I pen up very early now, as the sun sets. Clint and I discussed earlier that nutritional requirements can change according to weather, too. I just assume that the ducks will not starve themselves and provide a good Layer Feed, supplemented with veggie scraps and corn for winter. Some days they don't eat all I offer them.

ETA: I worry about feet when I start seeing signs that all is not well, like limping.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  8. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    I would also add...who can actually tell me how temps are measured? They do not relate to what a duck actually experiences. Relative measures, yes...but not actual....what is a mallards lower critical temp (where they have to increase metabolism).....sure it is much lower than most believe.

Clint

9. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    You will need to please explain more Clint. I am not positive that I understand... Are you asking for an quantative measurement, a number? I would have absolutely no idea. Wait a minute, *YOU* know the number, don't you?!? ;) You are quizzing us, aren't you?! ;) Please tell! Seriously now, don't you think that whatever 'the number' is, that the ducks develop tolerance to temperatures over time and exposures, regardless of the 'the number' or the geographical location, since as we know, your temps way Down South vary so from mine up here in the North. How are your temps by the way, Clint? One last thing that I have decided based upon my observations: Duration or length of temperature extremes might be just as great or greater in terms of how ducks behavior. @zook I don't think your temps look all that horrible going into next week, if that graphic is current. 50'F-- That's WARM in my world!! Finally, I think we can all agree that ducks do not feel "windchill", since windchill is based on bare human skin, right?

10. zook

zook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yes Holly it will be warm at 50F if it really happens. But its the fluctuation I wonder about. No the windchill is measured on bare human exposed skin but I would imagine that cold on ducks outside must feel something. The graph is from today and most of today was been blowing snow and blizzard conditions, so crazy to think in 3 days to have spring like temps. These ducks must get so confused. My interest was mostly based on the idea of real extreme winter conditions the are hitting single digit temps and then bouncing around with highs. There certainly have been some very interesting responses so far. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by