Changing the lyrics of a song for a talent show?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nupine, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I know this is a weird, dumb question, but I suppose thats what BYC is for [​IMG]

So, I started playing guitar about 6 weeks ago. Despite a little help from a friend, I'm teaching myself. I recently replaced my old, broken necked, cheap guitar for a beautiful shiny black Yamaha. I'm doing pretty well I suppose, yesterday I played/sang Pink Floyd's ''Wish You Were Here'' for my mom. There is a small talent show around here in early April. I really want to play/sing something in it, just to get some experience. I'm not a very good singer, but I'm sure it'd be fun none the less.
    I'm a huge fan of grunge music, so I want to do a grunge song. I've tossed a lot of Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Pearl Jam songs through my head, and right now I'm really leaning towards ''Black'' by Pearl Jam. I absolutely love this song. I'm a girl, and the lyrics are definetely in a man's perspective [...ohh, and all I taught her was everything]. Since this is for a talent show, would it be more ''appropriate'' for me to change a few of the lyrics to put them into a girl's perspective, or just sing it as it was wrote? Thank you!
    Ashlyn

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I don't think it would hurt.

3. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Hurt to change the lyrics, or leave them as they are?

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    It's whatever you like. You're the one doing the singing. My only suggestion would be if a "grunge" type song would be appropriate for your audience. You might be ruining you're own chances of a win if your audience is not into that type of music. In other words if you were going to see a rock band but a country band came in it's place you probably wouldn't like it too much.

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Might be just me but it irks me if someone changes song lyrics. I don't think it confuses people if you leave them as written. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by