Changing WATERFORD, MI Ordinances

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by SavThelmaLouise, May 18, 2016.

1. SavThelmaLouise

SavThelmaLouise New Egg

May 18, 2016
    Has anyone in Waterford, MI looked into changing the ordinances for keeping chickens on less than 5 acres of land? We've had chickens on & off for the past several years (not realizing our town is not chicken-friendly if you have less than 5 acres) and were recently served with a zoning violation because someone in the neighborhood complained about our girls (Thelma & Louise). To appeal the zoning and get a special permission, there is a $200 fee just to apply to appeal (no guarantee that it will be approved). I'd like to see the zoning be changed to permit a couple of hens for a variety of reasons including teaching my children about raising animals and where our food comes from, getting fresh eggs and fertilizer, etc.

2. Sydney Pflaum

Sydney Pflaum New Egg

Jul 11, 2017
    I agree completely but have not had the time to contact anybody about this. I have show hens that I show in 4H sand do not live on 5 acres but want them at my house. It's ridiculous

3. love hems

love hems New Egg

Sep 25, 2017
    I TOTATLY LOST MY LAND WIDE IS 98X98 WIDE 395.75 BOTHS SIDE IS OKEY TO RISED HEN OR NOT.I NEED HELP.LOVE HEN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by