Chantecler Breed Club

chicken19

Songster
Jul 16, 2015
Riding my horse
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to CBC!
CBC is a perfect club for anyone who owns or adores Chantecler chickens.
I own 1 Chantecler X hen who is white with brown speckles.
I adore the breed!
Please talk about anything chicken related but follow the BYC rules please.
Please post stories and pictures of your Chanteclers!
Thank you,
Chicken19.
(Chanteclers rule!)

When they have them(Which they are out for the season this year as of a week ago) Cackle Hatchery carries a decent line of whites.

IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0651.JPG Some of my white Chanties are from Cackle, and I have a small flock and love them! I just moved my birds on for this year, but in spring I'll be hatching again. If you want show birds, I don't know, but the Cackle birds are pretty nice. You would need to get a group, and keep the best ones. Mary

Those are nice looking birds. Do you breed for meat as well? Just wondering on if they have decent breast or pretty normal for most heritage breeds?

They aren't built like Cornishx birds, but do make good meat birds for heritage types. That cock bird is two years old and weighs a little over 8.5 pounds. He wasn't the largest in his group, but nearly. I kept three pullets this year, and one cockerel, who weighed 4.5 pounds at twelve weeks of age. We'll see how they look in a few more months! Mary

Well, I am trying to breed for a sustainable breed that has naturally larger breast meat(Not talking as big as Cornish x ) but just bigger than the normal heritage breeds. Am bringing with traditional Cornish and just adding more as I go. Have thought of adding Chanticleer as they were derived with Cornish in them. Shall see what I decided next spring after I hatch my first mixes :)

Back
Top Bottom