1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chantecler Chickens for SE Idaho?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Overeasyplz, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Well, as the snow moves in and I anxiously wait through it to see how my birds fare, I've been mulling over a more winter hardy breed. I'd like to hear about the Canadian Chantecler breed. Experiences with the breed, egg production, you name it. Let me know what you think.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You might want to send a PM to shelleyb1969 - I know she has some, though I'm unsure how many she has, and whether or not they are laying.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I had a few buff chanteclers for a year. They were very slow to mature (I have read somewhere that this is an intentional trait of the breed but am not sure whether that's actually true) but laid ok once they **finally** started. The one that I ate at 16 wks was the tastiest chicken I have ever had in my life. I believe that most chanteclers have a different personality than mine did (I suspect them of having had a good dose of Buff Orp in them) so can't really comment on that. They are, obviously, quite cold-hardy [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    thank you for your input! Anyone else out there tried this breed?

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    i good breed , tho i have bantams , and all bantamas a more wild then there LF contr part, i find this to be laid back and the roo allways knows where his hen is

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    btw, if you use the 'search' function in the blue bar towards the top of the page, you can turn up a bunch of other threads on chanteclers, there have been a good number, some with pics, and you can glean lots of good opinions from those posts even if there are not many chantecler people reading byc this weekend [​IMG]

Pat

7. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    thank you! I have been reading all sorts of info on this intriguing breed. I love my ee's but there is something to those chanteclers!

8. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

I love my Chanteclers! I have mostly Partridge and some Whites as well. They are very winter hardy and lay throughout the winter, light or not light. Most start to lay around 22-24 weeks. Here is an excellent article on the White Chantecler:

http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/09E02A08.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by