Chantecler Roo question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by streetglide, Dec 11, 2010.

1. streetglide

streetglide Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    I've tried for months to positively identify my rooster. He was the freebie exotic chick that came with my order. I sent in a pic when he was a juvenile and we thought he was a Golden Campine...well that didn't pan out! As he got older his colors changed and the comb wasn't right.
    As near as I can tell he's a Partridge Chantecler. But I can't find a good pic of a Chantecler Roo comb. His is not a cushion like the hens, but it's not and upright fan type comb either, it's a compact blob!
    What I do know is that he's a better watch dog than the dog! And he is more sociable a sweet than any of the girls. He's at 22 weeks now, any reason to think that he won't stay friendly at this point?

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    A "blob" pretty much describes a rooster's cushion comb.

It seems strange to me that a Partridge Chantecler would get tossed in, they are not too common, but perhaps you just got especially lucky.

As far as when and why a rooster might get ornery, I think it often has something to do with hormones and hens. 22 weeks probably isn't old enough to find out how he will settle into his roosterness.

4. streetglide

Jul 17, 2010
    Thanks, I went to the Chantecler site and couldn't find a good up close pic of the roosters comb...oh, one thing I didn't mention, my boy doesn't have yellow feet/legs. They're more gray/green.

Thanks Tim,
    He was the free EXOTIC chick...guess they didn't lie. He does like the girls...quite alot! I read one the site to kick 'em off when you're present to show them the pecking order. After whacking him several times he got the idea. Never thought chickens would be smart enough to train!

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:he may be a EE could you show us pics?

6. streetglide

Jul 17, 2010
    Thanks Punky, I do need to send updated pics. The camera died and I've been to busy buying chicken feed to get another! LOL! I just went to one of the Chantecler fanciers links...I saw pics of a week old Chantecler chick...uh,uh! That's not Roscoe!
    It's not that it matters I'm just seriously curious as to what the heck he is! I'm gonna keep looking. Thanks for your help.

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    any time
    punky

8. streetglide

Jul 17, 2010
    If you've got the time go to the breeds index and look at the Chantecler roo in the pic. That IS Roscoe...BUT his (Roscoes) comb is larger, not a full fan, but larger than what the picture shows, AND he has grey/green feet. This is driving me crazy(short trip), and wasting WAY to much time! It's pouring rain...but I could clean the house! Naaah!

9. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    well he is from a hatchery so hmm............ when you get a chance then get some pics and we will try to sort him right.
    punky

10. streetglide

Jul 17, 2010
    Thanks, I'll let you know. My phone! I forgot that camera...I'm goin' out in the rain!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by