Chanteclers in the Texas Summer?

Mar 12, 2018
Greetings,

New to this forum and new to owning chickens. I just got my first two chicks, a White Chantecler and a Rhode Island White, both of which, I was told at the feed store, will do fine in the Texas summer. Now after some internet and byc sleuthing, I'm finding several posts on Chanteclers not doing well in the heat. I know they are Canadian and traditionally a cold weather breed, but any Austin, TX folks (or hot summer dwellers) that can comment on how Chantecler's do in the Texas summer? And/or tips to help them weather the weather (ventilation, lots of shade, lots of fresh water, misters, etc)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

You have to understand that just because a chicken is COLD WEATHER HARDY does not automatically translate that it is HEAT INTOLERANT.
Being white in hot weather is a bonus.
A feed store would not be carrying chickens that were totally not suitable for your area.
WISHING YOU BEST. and :welcome

I live in San Marcos, TX and got "cold hardy" silver laced wyandottes last summer from a local feed store. Not the same breed, I know, but both large breeds that were designed to be cold tolerant. My SLWs did just fine, they just need plenty of water and shade. They really like hanging out on the shaded concrete porch in the middle of a hot day because it stays cool to the touch. My feed store SLWs also did not get anywhere near as big as their well-bred cousins do (which is expected) and I think helps them handle heat better.

Back
Top Bottom