Chanteclers not laying yet...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by justlila, Feb 21, 2009.

1. justlila

justlila New Egg

Feb 21, 2009
    Weld, Maine
    I purchased a batch of partridge Chanteclers last June and they have not started laying yet. [​IMG] Does anyone have any thoughts as to why? Do they need extra time as they are a rare heritage breed? I have a light in their coop, so they get enough light. This is my first time raising chickens, so any advice would be helpful.

2. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Do they go outside in a run? Do they free-range; how old were they when you bought them? One of my 9 month old pullets just started to lay steadily, so it may just take some time... [​IMG]

3. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  4. justlila

justlila New Egg

Feb 21, 2009
    Weld, Maine
    I got them as chicks (2 days old). They are totally free range. I coop them up at night so that they stay safe. I figured that because it took the roosters so long to start crowing that everything else (egg laying, etc.) would take a while as well. I am just a bit anxious to get some eggs!

5. justlila

justlila New Egg

Feb 21, 2009
    Weld, Maine
    Thanks Pupsnpullets! [​IMG] The link really helped. I am new to the forum so I am still trying to skim and read.

6. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    I too have partidge chantecler. She was a trial to see how they were for cold climates.

She was 42 weeks 5 days before she laid. I had read they were slower to mature, but I wasn't expecting this. She has laid every day since she started and the eggers are much larger than starter eggs that I got from other breeds.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer and we both will have lots of eggs next winter.

7. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    Hi
    I have CHantecler s and mine were a little older - May babies.
    They started laying at about 26 weeks. And have been laying pretty nicely most of the winter.
    Its not unusual for yours not to be laying yet. They will make up for it next winter.

do you have them on laying feed?

Hopefully they will start soon.

[​IMG]

8. justlila

justlila New Egg

Feb 21, 2009
    Weld, Maine
    Finally, my girls have started laying!! I was so excited to see the eggs! [​IMG]

9. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Can we see some pics.....? Pretty please [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by