Chanty laying in dust bath - suggestions to move to nesting box?

Trogdor

Songster
Mar 4, 2018
Ontario
One of our White Chantecler just started laying. She's been giving us one egg per day. First egg was on the floor. 2nd, 3rd and 4th have been in the dust bath.

When our Silkie started laying, she did the same, and then on to the poop board. She figured it out soon as we put her in the nesting box with some fake eggs.

This girl does not like being put in the nesting box.

My thoughts:
Experiment by putting some hay organized like a nest in the dust bath and see if she lays there, then show her a similar shape in the nest box with fake eggs and slowly remove the hay from the dust bath...

Any suggestions on progressions to get her to the nesting box? I don't want her to start a trend as the others come in to lay.

Thanks!

Skip putting a nest in the dust bath. Make comfy clean nesting boxes they can easily get in and out of. If too high may not want to use. Make sure they are bug or pest free. Put false eggs in all the nesting boxes and you can keep confined to coop and not let to run in am till after eggs laid. May be a problem if afternoon layer though because I probably would not keep contained in coop all day especially since food/water is in run. I don’t use dust bath so dont have problem. My birds just use natural soil or earth there for it in run or yard.

Yeah, no nest material in the dust bath.
Is the dust bath outside the coop or.....?
More info and pics might help.
Are other birds laying in the nests?
New layers might be intimidated away from the nests at first.
New layers can take awhile to get it together, hard to force the issue.

Dust bath is in the woods style coop, pretty messy...

But good news, she's been laying in the nesting box. Think making the box a bit more cozy with hay and the fake eggs helped.

Thanks for the pointers!

Back
Top Bottom