Chaos

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vizslamom, Nov 10, 2013.

1. vizslamom

vizslamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Napa,Ca
    My chicks are about 1 month old. I have them in a HUG pumpkin box in the house. At night it sounds REALLY crazy in there. The dump their water cover their food. I cant put the out with other chickens(leg horns)I think they will kill. What should I do. I go in about every hour to check water....its dumped. Thanks for the advices

2. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    You could try using wire or zip ties or something similar through the walls of the box to anchor the water dishes so they can't flip it. The food you can try raising up out of the bedding a bit so long as they can still reach it. But they are going to throw at least some bedding into it no matter what you do with it. They are talented lil buggers that way. [​IMG] I put mine up on a little platform raised just an inch or so above the bedding. That seemed to work the best for me.

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] you need to buy or make a chicken waterer, if you have it in a dish of some sort and they are babies you are lucky they haven't drown. thats probably the first thing that would of happened to mine. there is a baby chick care forum on here. perhaps it could help?

4. vizslamom

vizslamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Napa,Ca
    They are not "babies" they are a little over a month old. They drink just fine from the dish....they just keep dumping it.

5. Natalijaasbj

Natalijaasbj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    They are still babies though, although "bigger" babies now;)
    It is better to buy special waterer for chicks - it is very cheap. And I usually put it on the brick, this way it stays much cleaner.
    The problem with a regular dish is, they get into it and make water dirty and spill it. WET IS NOT GOOD. You have to change it always and change the bedding, because moisture is not good for chicks . Plus they easily can get wet in it - not good, they can die, if get soaking wet.
    You also can put a Mason jar on the regular dish, so you do not have to buy it. And putting it on the brick or any other similar "platform" really helps.
    Natalija

1 person likes this.
  6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi there! Here is what I've done and it works GREAT!! I was having the same problem as you describe in my huge watermelon box I use for my birds. First I took a lid off a medium sized rubber maid box and used that lid as a tray. Then I took two bricks from the yard and put their water on top of the bricks to
    elevate it and keep out the shavings.the food also
    goes on top of the lid.i can easily dump the tray when
    it gets too messy but most importantly their water
    stays clean. Here is a picture of my set up hope this
    helps.

7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    [​IMG]

8. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    This has worked out wonderfully for me and their water does NOT tip or get messy with shavings!! Before I did this their water would tip or get filled with shavings making it almost impossible to keep clean. It really worried me because damp shavings can be a breeding ground for Aspergillosis which is caused by mold spores. With this set up when they get too much shavings in the tray I just dump the tray but their water stays clean and clear. They have no problems drinking from it being elevated . This little system saved me a lot of mess and trouble. Hope this helps you out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by