chapped/dry looking around eyes

chickenstupid

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 8, 2011
i have a hen or 2 that are a bit dry/chapped around their eyes normal? also have about 25 hens & only maybe 4 r laying (the rir) aracaunas nothing, cochins nothing, all eggs i'm getting r from the same pen (3sussex 1 cock 2 hens 4 rir 1 cock 3hens) i bought the cochins from a guy & there were eggs n the pen but nothing since moving. feeding layer pellets scratch grit oyster shell

Don't know about the "chapped" part, but as for the laying...if you're in the northern hemisphere, there's just not enough daylight right now to cause the chickens to lay. Some people choose to use artificial lighting to give their chickens the required 14 hours per day. And some of us choose to go with the natural cycle. I've got 7 girls (3 leghorns, 4 australorps). Only my leghorns have laid in the past 3 months.

Check the legs to make sure they don't have scaly leg mites. They will also get on the head. I would go ahead and dip their legs in oil and take a rag with oil on it and wipe the head every couple or few days for a week or two just in case. You can treat them with ivomec pour on but I would use the oil on them any way...with or without the ivomec.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom