Chapped Skin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickDaze, Dec 21, 2011.

1. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    A few weeks ago, one of my roosters decided to visit me on the porch. The dogs got a hold on him and he, luckily, put his head down and went vertical, hiding his head between the feed can and a flower pot. When we got out there, he was fine and the dogs left him alone, and the only injury was feathers missing from his backside. Recently (I started checking on it a while back), along with my discovery of no new feathers, I found that his skin was chapped and rather bloody. I rather doubt my remedy of lotion and gloves will help in this case. What to do?

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    It's probably one of the other chickens found the bare spot, and is picking at it.
    I have had them pick the others to death. Any way of separating him till he heals over?
    Blue kote is another option, but very messy.

3. ChickDaze

Jun 1, 2011
    How is that? He is one of two black-sex-link roos, and they are the biggest. And they don't mess with each other as far as i can see.

The reason he got out in the first place was because he was separated. The hens were being tortured with constant mounting, and one got bloody. She was separated, he was separated. We got a big storm after she joined them back, and the dog kennel turned chicken cage messed up. He stayed in the yard looking at chickens, and we just left him because he didn't fly over even when he could. I think it would be just cruel to stick him in a cage all day.

4. Blue Ninja

Blue Ninja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    You could try bag balm, or my favorite corona ointment.[​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I recommend this to everyone to treat everything. It works wonders on any skin abrasions, burns, chapping, etc. I use it on my dogs, cats, chickens, my daughter and me. It has a turpentine base that tastes terrible to other animals and it keeps the chickens from picking at each other.
    [​IMG]

6. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Nurse Turtle, please type the name, the only part we can read is antiseptic salve. Thanks [​IMG]

7. ChickDaze

Jun 1, 2011
    By observing both roos rear ends near the tail, I discovered that both had bare spots there. One was bloody, the other was only pink skin. Apparantly, i have one of those weird chickens with the desire to rip feathers out in copious amounts. Maybe it is the rooster i saw chasing the poor bloodier one.

8. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    yes could you please type the brand of the salve so we can see. thnx.

9. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:Yes, thank you! It's hard to find in stores or flea markets regionally, but dot com brings everything closer to home. You WILL NOT regret having a tin of this in your home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by