Characteristics of breeds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ctags, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ctags

ctags Hatching

Aug 4, 2010
    Question everyone...I'm a newbie just starting out with chickens. What breeds of hens are characteristically "docile", "friendly", "not too noisy" yet are good producers? I live in Northern California and my coop has plenty of shade when the weather gets too hot. Any advice is very much appreciated!

2. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chirping

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    Hi and welcome!
    I can't speak of egg production, as our pullets are still not laying yet, but our favorite two of our four chickens has got to be our Easter Egger and our Buff Orpington. Both are quiet, calm and friendly towards us. The Easter Egger perches on our heads or shoulders any chance she gets, and will doze off in your arms if you stroke her feathers gently. The Buff Orpington is just so fluffy, soft and peaceful. Love her too!

3. wiss0023

wiss0023 In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Also new at this, but I agree that my Easter Eggers have been some of my more playful and approachable hens (one perches on me every chance she gets). I also have a black Australorp that is my sons favorite; lets him carry her everywhere. Both these breeds would be good producers. My Cuckoo Maran is not as likely to come up to us on her own accord, but is also not aggressive. I have new Cochins, so I will wait and see their temperment.

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have a Barred Rock and an Easter Egger in tie for friendliest chicken. The Easter Egger is a bit more aloof with strangers, but she perches on my arm or my Mom's lap quite willingly.

My Barred Rock is WONDERFUL. She is the alpha hen of my 5 chickens, but not a bully. Just respected. I owned Barred Rocks in the past and enjoyed them a lot! My 5 year old nephew can old our girl Joon, and the Rocks I had in the past were hardy layers even through winter and snow. They are just a hardy breed it seems. I am expecting Joon the Barred Rock to produce more then my Easter Egger.

5. PetRock

PetRock Crowing

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    One of our barred rocks is the alpha chicken, also. She is the oldest chicken we have at 22 weeks. We also have three that are 19 weeks old: EE, Black Astralorp, and Gold sex link and three babies that are 12 weeks old: another barred rock and two silver laced wyandottes. The barred rocks are our friendliest birds but the oldest one is also our noisiest. I don't know whether it is because she is top chicken or just because she is mouthy. [​IMG] Our little barred rock, Memly, is the sweetest chicken that we have. She is the noisiest one of the young ones but also the most curious and playful. All of our chickens are nice but I am especially partial to the BRs! They have personality plus!

6. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Songster

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    I love my Red Sex Links or Golden Comets... depending on where you buy.

My EE's are okay but not as friendly as the RSL's.

Do not get any Black Minorca's . They are super sweet, very cute but SO SKITTISH it will make you crazy. That comb lays over so far they can't see out of both eyes and they get very scared. Great layers but not as good as my RSL's.

7. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Songster

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I adore all my girls! [​IMG] They are not old enough to lay yet but all their breeds are known to be decent layers. My Barred Rock is my sweet, curious and friendly gal. Our Easter Egger is really friendly and one of my Speckled Sussex pullets is also super friendly. My other Speckled Sussex doesn't like to be picked up as much but still runs to me the moment she sees or hears me. The one that was most standoffish as a young chick has become quite the friendly gal too--she's the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte.

I chose all for good laying ability and personality. The Easter Egger and one of the Sussex gals mutter to themselves more than the others so far [​IMG] but not loud.

8. mchl

mchl Chirping

Jul 30, 2010
    my barred rock produces great and is super friendly and lovable

9. midd2005

midd2005 Chirping

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    all i have are little chicks right now but i have 4 barred rocks and 3 light brahmas. i got them because they are supposed to be "quiet" and "docile". the barred rocks are supposed to be great layers and the light brahmas are pretty and supposed to lay decent though they are huge which i'm sure will impact my feed bill.

both are proving to be friendly, not skittish chicks but the barred rocks are a step ahead. the second they see the hand they bolt for it and leap into it. the brahmas come over and have a look and maybe put one foot into the hand if it's low enough.

that's my 2 cents.

10. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Songster

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    My Light Brahma Lucy is going to be 19 weeks so no eggs but she is really good at being handled even though she is really mouthy constantly talking back to me or anyone who will listen to her she is the Alpha of our little flock. Our Buff Bantam Brahma is really good about being handled she allows my two year old to stick her in his little tykes care and drives her around but she can get an attitude too. My silkie is obviously my favorite...and then we have a black Australorp (sp?) she is a pain in my rear horrible at being held even though she was the one who liked being held the most as a chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by