Charity....As you open your pockets for yet another natural disaster

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by arabianequine, Nov 29, 2010.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Charity....

As you open your pockets for yet another natural disaster or Christmas season, keep these facts in mind when "donating".

Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross... Salary for year ending 06/30/03 was $651,957 plus expenses. (That's $74.42 an hour for EVERY hour of EVERY day.)

Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary, plus numerous expense benefits.

(That's $42.80 an hour for EVERY hour of EVERY day.)

UNICEF CEO receives $1,200,000 per year plus all expenses and a ROLLS ROYCE car where ever he goes and only cents of your dollar goes to the cause. (That's $1369.86 an hour for EVERY hour of EVERY day.)

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.

No further comment necessary except listen for the bells outside stores this Christmas.

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG] Where did you find the numbers? Sheesh.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My charity of choice is St. Jude's, and I don't care how much money the doctors or the CEO makes. I KNOW for a fact that thousands of children would die from cancer every day if it wasn't for this group. If your child came down with a rare cancer, could you afford the treatment and multiple hospital stays? St. Jude provides treatment at no cost to the family. Thank you Danny Thomas.

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    And the salvation army is the first on the scene a lot of times... If you have ever been helped by them.. Give at the bell.... They rock!!!

When my house burned to the ground... Goodwill not only gave nothing even though I had a voucher from the RED CROSS and the salvation army outfitted my house all for free.... We were cold and wet and it was the 6th of December and I lost everything I owned and almost my baby daughter.... The Goodwill who had recieved thousands of dollars worth of goods from me 2 days before from my mother's estate wouldn't return any items though they hadn't been inventoried and they wouldn't give me a pair of shoes for my children... TRUE STORY

The salvation army was right there with gifts and cash...Without the kindness of ppl that stand there and ring the bell... Well I can't tell you what it means.. My loss was catastrophic and took years to recover emotionally... I give nothing to the GOODWILL.. as they gave nothing to me.... after all the years of my donations (never asking for a reciept)

let the bells ring... I always have a few bucks in my pocket just for them.. even when it is my last one... Go Salvation ARMY!!! rah rah [​IMG]

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Also, keep in mind if you are donating towards animal causes.....find something local! ASPCA is not your local SPCA. H-S-US is not your local humane society. Donate money if you wish or if you really want to make a difference, find a local shelter in need, find out what they want and donate those items or even better, arrange your own mini donation drive with friends and family. When I worked at a shelter, I always wished that instead of people coming in to donate $100 that quite honestly just went into the 'general fund' and we never saw it.....that they would ask what we need, buy that and bring it back. $100 worth of high quality puppy or kitten food for the "sick" or undernoursihed animals goes a lot farther than $100 into the general fund. Old blankets/comforters/etc are always welcomed.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  6. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:Yes. That.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good stuff to know! Thanks!

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:I was about to post the same link. [​IMG]

10. peepdaddy

peepdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Wolfe co.
    Many years ago when my wife and I were a young married couple, and money was tight, I worked at a state university. Each payday a portion of my pay was sent to The United Way. Everyone who worked there had to participate, no choice. Just before I left that job several senior officials of United Way were indicted for embezelment. I've been reluctant to donate to large charities since. I do give to a few smaller local charities.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by