Charity Crochet , Knit & Sewn Projects!! Craft-along!! All Welcome!!!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Scrambled Egg, May 22, 2008.

1. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG]Any Knitters, Crocheters, Seamstresses, or Crafters interested in making chemo caps, preemie hats, booties, blankets or whatever else you think would be needed for charity?!

A totally volunteer effort here folks but several of us would like to make capps, hats, blankets, booties.... and donate them to our local hospitals with our BYC tag attached to them. If you want me to add your item(s) to a box full of mine and others that would like to send them to another BYC member that is a Nurse in a Preemie unit (who will take some pictures for us of the itmes in use) ...just pm me for my address and send them my way..I'll make sure they all get delivered.

The chemo caps for kids with cancer can be any pattern ... the internet is loaded with them! Any yarns and any colors!! I've seen loopy, shaggy, wild colored ones with beads and fringes and sequins. Anything happy looking to make these kids smile!

The preemie hats can also be any pattern or soft yarns. Arlee453 suggests www.threadsoflove.org as an awesome needy charity for this projects. There is also a ProjectLinus and numerous other deserving organizations that deal with ccancer stricken children and premature infants. Many of the National Charities have local chapters and can be accessed via the web. Alot of them also offer free patterns for items to make and donate.

Be creative and use whatever resources you are comfortable with, felt, crochet, sewing, ....

If you are interested, please post and say so and work on your project(s) as you can and post pictures of your progress to keep everyone motivated!! [​IMG] Closer to the holidays we will get our items all sent off (the ones sent to me)with some BYC tags attached to them!! Thanks to Jacie (5azsisters) for the BYC tags that she made - found on page 6 of this thread. Please post your progress and chat with us on this thread!

What a great project idea!!! I really hope alot of folks, all crafters volunteer for this effort!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    seminolewind
    Chicken Obsessed

PM Re: Crochet Square Swap (Pre-Interest in Crochet & Knit ChemoCaps?)Hi, I work in a NICU (preemies and sick babies) and I would like to suggest making baby quilts or blankets. Most of what we get are either crocheted, knitted, or quilted, the quilted ones being either machine quilted or quilted with the yarn ties. Everyone really appreciates them. If a baby is small, it covers the incubator. When they move to a crib, it's their top cover. Then it goes home with them. The staff and the parents really love them. A good size would be 36 x 36 inches.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to care but I take a pill for that now

Here is another option that Seminole has offered...please consider making these blankets as well.....they can even be granny squares, hint, hint you granny square makers, lol!!​

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    OK I will sign up I was checking out all the cool baby colors at Wally mart tonight, Tomorrow I am going to get some yarn there and will pick some of the baby colors too Kris [​IMG]

edit to adde: I am all stoked now after getting my squares from the "others" [​IMG] last week and seeing how many different cool patterns there are

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    What a great idea.....
    I've wanted to do this for a while, I have issues with my hands so I'm not SURE - but I will try to get something going... [​IMG]

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have to look through the boxes of stuff from my grama. I know there is yarn, looms and other goodies.

6. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have such an enormous yarn stash I feel certain I at least have some soft Caron yarn I can use for the preemie hats and I have piles and piles of beads and things I can decorate a chemo cap with. I am gonna check out those looms though. Might do that today even at Wal-mart.

If someone is planning to make granny square preemie balnkets they might want to make only 4" squares instead of the bigger 6" ones...now, see, how easy is that?!! LOL!! Pretty yellows and greens or whites those are all nuetrals...and I know at least 25 or so people on this forum that are great granny squarers, lol!!!

Sooooo, everyone be thinking about it and have a great day! Where are the knitters?!! [​IMG]

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I'll crochet some baby goods. I like the idea of little blankies.

I was blessed with healthy kids, but they still loved their blankies! So I'd like to make blankies for some itty bitty babes that are struggling.

8. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Count me in!!! [​IMG]
    The patterns for preemie hats on the Threads of Love site look really easy!

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have a couple of those Looms somewhere around - I could never get anything off them that looked good - there was always a huge gap between the "stitches" [​IMG]

Knitting might be an option - I'll see how that effects my hands....... I have knitted alot of cute little hats - I still have a sweet little pink and white one I made for my daughter - she uses it now on her doll [​IMG]

10. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Anyone else interested in this idea??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].... it's for a good cause!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by