Charity Crocheters and knitters?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by artsyrobin, Nov 1, 2011.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I was wondering if anyone knits and crochets for charity? my daughter doesn't want crochets objects for her kids(8) [​IMG] and haven't done anything lately, then as i am walking around hobby lobby it hit me.... charity!!! so discouraging not to have anyone to knit or crochet for....soooooo.... anyone?

2. hitgsd

hitgsd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Progect Linus is a charity that supplies handmade quilts and afghans to children undergoing cancer treatment, or are in distress. Also the local cancer treatment hospital, or American cancer society might have need of crochted beanies for chemo patients, bald heads get cold. I have donated to Linus foundation before, and done beanies for people I know undergoing chemo, or brain surgerey. I looked and am including a link to project Linus, and a charity looking for hats for chemo, brain surgerey, and burn patients. Hope this helps.

http://www.projectlinus.org/friends.html

http://www.headhuggers.org/

3. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

My friend Michelle passed away almost 2 years ago, and her family started M.O.M. to moms. They make baby bundles to send to women in disaster areas.

M.O.M.* to Moms is dedicated to sharing new basic supplies to help moms around the country and world give their newborns a warm start in life. These special moms are mothers who have little to no material resources.*Michelle Omic' Memorial

They take baby blankets, booties and hats. You can find them on facebook.

If you need a different link, just PM me. [​IMG]

4. Pkeith1998

Pkeith1998 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Georgia
    Another great charity is Forever Warm. Forever Warm is a volunteer organization started by an angel mom who wanted to keep her son's memory alive by donating hand made blankets to hospitals to wrap angel babies in when they are born. The blankets can then be kept by the parents as a keepsake or they can use the blanket for burial. Taking the time to make a blanket to give them shows the parents that we acknowledge that their baby was special and means something to someone other than themselves.

http://www.foreverwarm.org/

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    wow, you guys make it hard to choose, but now i am a happy camper! thanks so much!!!

6. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I've taken crocheted hats and scarves to the St.Vincent de Paul homeless family day shelter.

7. Crafty Chickens

Crafty Chickens Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2012
    Berwick ME
    What is the link for the M.O.M. on FaceBook? that UrbanFarmer101 is talking about? I did a search and couldn't find anything [​IMG]

8. OtterD

OtterD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Southern NH
    I'm only a beginner knitter so haven't done this yet but think it is an awesome project. The Mother Bear Project sends knitted and crocheted teddy bears to developing nations (many in Africa). The link is here: http://www.motherbearproject.org/. I need to work on my knitting skills so I can do this! :)

9. Harry75

Harry75 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    [​IMG] I am making (crocheting) lap blankets for nursing home and baby blankets/doll blankets for the doll beds my hubsand makes to sell . I only ask $5 for small ones for dolls. I hope the nursing home will accept the lap blankets but not sure if i have to make enough to give each lady on the floor one. If so that would be a lot to make first. I would like to crochet baby hats for the nursery too to give away. I have to learn how first,lol.

10. Harry75

Harry75 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    I think that's wonderful. Keep up the ♥ felt work for others. Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by