Charlie--Buff Araucanas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Krys109uk, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Charlie,
    Had some ideas on those buff Araucanas you asked about, (or Ameraucanas, or whatever you call them). I've put this on the public forum so that we can all discuss ideas & hopefully learn from each other-----after all that's why were all here, is it not?
    I looked at feathersite but couldn't see buff Chantelers but could see they've got pea combs. So I'd definitely not use those. I don't know much about your Araucanas (or is it Ameraucanas?) but have worked extensively on a large variety of colours of British type Araucanas.
    Obviously he blue egg is one of the most important traits to preserve....after without blue (or green eggs) it ain't an Araucana <grin>. So when making all new colour varieties the pea comb is ones biggest ally. There is close linkage between the pea comb & the blue egg genes---only 4 map units if my memory serves. --- Presuming you're aiming for a solid buff bird I'd probably use a large buff leghorn for outcrossing (presuming you have these in US).
    The benefits of this would be that, as well as being a light upright bird, the leghorn has a long single comb & large white eggs. The significance here being that one will, in most cases, easily be able to follow the blue egg gene in future offspring. Obviously all offspring in the first cross will be heterozygous for the pea comb & heterozygous for the blue egg gene. But in future generations one is, most likely you'll be able to follow the blue egg gene because if the offspring has a single comb it will probably not be carrying any blue egg genes; if the offspring has a rather strange long or floppy sort of pea comb it will be heterozygous for pea comb (because pea comb is incompletely dominant to non pea comb) & if the offspring has a rather "normal" pea comb there is a good chance that the bird has two blue egg genes.
    Now the egg colour. While I expect green eggs are allowed in US standards, people seem to prefer the blue. Not sure what colour egg the Chantecler lays but if it is brown it will cause blue eggs to be green & because there re a few genes involved in brown/tinted egg colour, it s not altogether easy to eliminate. Leghorns having large white eggs will not put brown onto the blue egg & will increase egg size however there can be slight problems with a whitening gene making the colour a bit pale; this can be bred out more easily than brown.
    I only know about British Araucanas with their crest, beard & muffs & the colours available in UK. I don't know what colours of Araucana are available in US so I'm sorry but I cannot have an opinion about from which colour to start.

Any more ideas?

Hwyl Fawr

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hi Krys, Chantecler do have a cushion comb, lay brown eggs and have yellow skin.., also thought about using a buff rock, Buff wyandotte..yes large buff leghorn are available here..

Also for the blue egg color is not as important to "us" at the point of start, green is ok for me, I would much rather work towards the size and color of Large fowl "BUFF ARAUCANA the USA version" of course....

Yes i pretty much know how the egg colors work with brown(white) ,blue and green.. We also under stand comb and wattles..The problem is to get the buff color onto a already started araucana to sort of say, like i said i have many good colors to start with in the Large fowl USA Araucana(tufts and rumpless...NO crest, beard or muff or feather legs) white, black, blue, plus other colors..
    If we do take on this project it wouldn't start maybe till sometime in the end next year..Right now with the lavender projects going on space is very limited, I'm going to be building "more pens" for taking on some more fun tasks down the line..Space is always the issue in our case and I'm sure most...LOL

All advise is well taken and more welcome
    Thanks
    Charlie

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  3. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Buff is a really hard color. Danne Honour has written a few books on buff color that are packed slam full of good info, lots and lots of study and time went into those books.
    You can find them online
    You can actually read them online at Moderndayfowl.

good luck

4. wilds of pa

wclawrence, We had thought about using a recessive white Araucana cock with buff Chanteler hens..I had mention this to Krys in a private Pm..

I see Rhea Dean Carter has somthing going with some now there and if im not wrong they are more than likely bantams..Way to go Rhea...cause she looks like she is going in the right direction..

Thanks for the links..Will do some more reading

Charlie

5. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    Quote:Hi Krys, Chantecler do have a cushion comb, lay brown eggs and have yellow skin.., also thought about using a buff rock, Buff wyandotte..yes large buff leghorn are available here..

Also for the blue egg color is not as important to "us" at the point of start, green is ok for me, I would much rather work towards the size and color of Large fowl "BUFF ARAUCANA the USA version" of course....

Yes i pretty much know how the egg colors work with brown(white) ,blue and green.. We also under stand comb and wattles..The problem is to get the buff color onto a already started araucana to sort of say, like i said i have many good colors to start with in the Large fowl USA Araucana(tufts and rumpless...NO crest, beard or muff or feather legs) white, black, blue, plus other colors..
    If we do take on this project it wouldn't start maybe till sometime in the end next year..Right now with the lavender projects going on space is very limited, I'm going to be building "more pens" for taking on some more fun tasks down the line..Space is always the issue in our case and I'm sure most...LOL

Thanks
    Charlie

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007

Thanks
    Charlie

Charlie why dont you take the LF Ameraucana and make the Buff Araucana? I hatched some this year and they are turning out really nice. They havent gotten to the point of lay yet, so I cant comment on that.

Disregard Terra's post she was over last night helping me with a website and she never logged out.

7. wilds of pa

Got somthing to say, say it please... [​IMG]

Thanks
    Charlie

8. wilds of pa

Korfus, yes we had also bin throwing that around also...Been trying to get some without beards and muffs from a few breeders who are looking for them in there hatches..but so far none to avail.. i beleive there(ameraucana) skin color is wrong also, but its not that big of a deal to get yellow on the araucana for this project,,Im so glad others can add idea's to this..

Thanks
    Charlie

9. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I would guess that good buff ameraucanas bred to red birchen (if you have that color) araucanas would be the easiest way to segregate back out to all your buff making colors. Egg color would be okay, as well as comb, keep looking for clean-faced ones you will eventually find some. Or just go ahead and make a cross. Who cares how many crosses it takes as long as you can eventually come out with some nice birds that you want.

just my two cents.

10. wilds of pa

Quote:Hey wclawrence, Jody said we do have some araucana that have red birchen in them, or carrying it to say, I'm not a genetic expert but know things in layman's term to speak of..
    I know what you mean by just keep crossing to get what your after. but i always want an easy way out..don't sound like its going to be a day in the park to say THE LEAST,,LOL...
    We are taking notes on anything we can find for when the time comes we can compile it all together to come up with a starting plan..

We really get excited when plans come together and start something off..Remember it has to fun or we wouldn't do it..Just as with the lavender orp project it is still lots of fun as things are turning in the right direction after all the time put to get it done..We our like sponges and soak up any info we can..

Thanks for all the help
    Charlie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by