Charlie Girl saved Kitty's life!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Jul 6, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Kitty is our 2 year old, 2 1/2 lb., outside cat with a long-standing death wish. Charlie Girl is my 9 year old irish wolfhound mix.
    My SO's DD brought her large mixed breed dog, Domino, to our 4th of July party. When people started arriving Kitty made herself scarce, as she always does when people are around. She's lived on this remote farm with us since she was a 3 week old feral orphan and she's scared to death of other people. Friday evening Domino was wandering around in our back yard when Kitty came out of hiding and started walking across the yard to her food dish. Domino spotted her and gave chase. Just as Domino was within a foot of Kitty and before any of us could react, Charlie went from being asleep in the shade of the carport, to across the yard without making a sound. She put her head down and rammed Domino in the side, knocking Domino off her feet and thru the air. Then Charlie grabbed Domino by the throat and held her down until my SO called Charlie off. Domino suffered a small bite wound to her throat, but was okay otherwise. Kitty is safe.
    Not bad for a 9 year old dog with bad hips and heart failure huh?

2. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Yeah, Charlie Girl! Nice save! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Isn't it amazing how our animals often care for each other.
    Lucky you, to have such a wonderful doggie.
    Liz

3. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    wow that's pretty awesome that your dog protected your cat like that!

Good job puppy!! Give her a couple of extra treats and tell her that they're from the chicken people [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Way to go Charlie Girl! [​IMG]

5. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Charlie deserves an extra treat! Way to go! Lucky kitty that's for sure her gardian angel was looking out for her.

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That is awesome! Had a similar experience with our geriatric bulldog when DH's friend brought his black lab INTO our house. Our cat walked by and he gave chase. I had never seen Rosie the bulldog move so fast or sound so vicious! [​IMG] Poor kitty thought he was DEAD! Then he realized that Rosie was after the dog, not helping it! LOL! After that, he would rub against her, when before, he just ignored her.

It is amazing what animals do to protect their "family" Thank goodness she got there in time! Wolfhounds are beautiful animals. I've always wanted one, but was scared to with cats. Glad to know it's possible, and beneficial! LOL!

Shelly

P.S.-I agree with the extra treats![​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:After owning Charlie, or should I say being owned by her? for the past 8 years, I wouldn't own anything else but a wolfhound or a wolfhound mix ever again. We don't know what Charlie is mixed with. She looks full wolfhound except for her large erect ears. She was very helpful when Kitty was a tiny 3 week old kitten. She basically raised her. I did the feeding, Charlie did the cleaning and guarding. She was a good surrogate mother to my SO's border collie when he was a pup too. She's also a great playmate to our nigerian dwarf goat. She did pick one of my chicks up in her mouth when the chicks were very young, but I really believe she was going to try and mother it; not hurt it. There were no bite marks on the chick, Charlie dropped her as soon as I commanded, and the chick survived. Now she sits quietly in the yard and watches the chickens play without trying to bother them. I had a hunch before this latest incident that Charlie would be protective of any member of our family and she proved it. She is very much loved and spoiled by all of us. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by