Harry horse & Charlie adventures! Horse chat & much more! Everyone welcome!

Pics
That’s his lure you in face :lol:

Yes fingers crossed Monday for the float to come off. When the stitches are removed it should be able to go!

He’s doing good in himself thank you both :hugs Extremely frustrated though at being in his cage :barnie He’s doing quite a bit of crying/barking when in there because he knows if he starts creating one of us will get him out. I’m afraid today though he just had to take it as I was snowed under in the office. His paddy eventually stopped when he realised I wasn’t going to get him out.
We had some snow yesterday and he was trying to pile it up on the grass and was rather giddy but could not play because he was on the lead. Poor lad!

Harry is doing ok :) He had to stay in today as it was treacherous under foot with the ice. Some of the snow had slightly melted but then it froze overnight so everywhere was like an ice rink :( No way could we risk taking them down the field. He wasn’t happy but it was the safer option.

That’s his lure you in face :lol:

Yes fingers crossed Monday for the float to come off. When the stitches are removed it should be able to go!

He’s doing good in himself thank you both :hugs Extremely frustrated though at being in his cage :barnie He’s doing quite a bit of crying/barking when in there because he knows if he starts creating one of us will get him out. I’m afraid today though he just had to take it as I was snowed under in the office. His paddy eventually stopped when he realised I wasn’t going to get him out.
We had some snow yesterday and he was trying to pile it up on the grass and was rather giddy but could not play because he was on the lead. Poor lad!

Harry is doing ok :) He had to stay in today as it was treacherous under foot with the ice. Some of the snow had slightly melted but then it froze overnight so everywhere was like an ice rink :( No way could we risk taking them down the field. He wasn’t happy but it was the safer option.

Awww the poor boys! It's for their own good though. :)

And of course no puppy would be happy being confined to a crate but it looks like he's grown quite a bit and might be about to outgrow it? :D

Also, I am sure you know this, but even though it's hard especially when your baby is hurt, I recommend keeping up that tough love thing a bit hah and/or maybe when he is feeling better practice some crate games or something, unless he's already normally good in there and just full of beans from being cooped up? Perfectly normal. But what you did today, ignoring him, and also only letting him out when he's quiet and sitting nicely is a good thing to learn. You are doing great with him but trust me, you don't want a spoiled brat LOL

Not that he's gonna be one or that by letting out when he cries cause he's sick and you feel bad is a bad thing cause it's not and I'd do the same but i wouldn't make it a habit.

I only say this because when Gator was a puppy, he would cry and cry. We never crated him but he HATED being alone. So anyway, he would cry and at first we tried doing what they say you are supposed to, ignore him, but he was so loud and it was so sad. So then we all started taking turns sleeping with him. We'd come and sleep on the couch in the porch room, where he slept. Eventually we took an old mattress down and slept on that lol

And even when he got older, he's always slept in my dad's bed.

Well now he can't be alone lol

And he demands attention. He'll lay in the hall sometimes and just grumble and grumble till you cave and pet him. It's actually pretty cute but ANNOYING when you are trying to do something important. Cause eventually he barks now.

And if he's in a room and you're petting him and you stop, he throws his head back like "what the heck" LOL

And sometimes when my dad travels, he will lay downstairs and bark all night. Seriously. One time he was still going at 5 or 6am.

And he has especially bad separation anxiety from my brother. He lives down the street now but if he comes over and he's outside and Gator isn't allowed, ohhhh he loses it lol

Now, this isn't to scare you, and it's also due to bad training and rewarding the behavior (hes so cute we usually cave and pet him or come down and yell at him to shut up, which is still attention) and we never socialized him, and he's not really a very confident dog to begin with and I think has anxiety. And he's actually gotten a lot better. We got him a dog bed at our dump (transfer station) a few months ago. They have a free area to take stuff. It's a really good LL Bean one with the bolsters on the sides and he LOVES it plus his hip has gotten worse so he can't jump up on the bed anymore so he's been sleeping on his own bed at night now. So he naturally has a bit more separation so now when my dad travels, he usually doesn't do the barking anymore and just sleeps on his dog bed.

But he still can't be alone cause we ruined him. Not that you're ruining Keeper by any means, you are doing great, just a cautionary tale of having a spoiled brat LOL

Oh and lately when I watch TV he has to be in the same room and usually lies on the couch or by my feet. Now, he's not technically allowed in the living room but he's such a brat and eats everything, paces around the house, cries and barks, etc. Until i cave. I actually now wonder if he does that on purpose... he's a very smart dog. He could easily be a brat on command if it got him what he wanted lol but once in the living room, he passes out on the couch and goes into a deep sleep ha

And oddly this is only at night, during the day he is fine on the bed. Maybe cause his bed is in the hall near the kitchen and everyone passes by him all day?

Cause I suppose this could also be his breed. He is half black Lab and half Great Pyrenees. So we are kind of his flock and I think he likes keeping tabs on us. Plus being very family oriented dogs. So we might not have entirely ruined him as much as breed but it certainly didn't help lol

I think he's also going deaf.

And he has calmed down a lot. He's a lot better behaved, listens better, calmer, etc. Now at alnost 6 (in March) than he was as a pup ha

Last edited:
Awww the poor boys! It's for their own good though. :)

And of course no puppy would be happy being confined to a crate but it looks like he's grown quite a bit and might be about to outgrow it? :D

Also, I am sure you know this, but even though it's hard especially when your baby is hurt, I recommend keeping up that tough love thing a bit hah and/or maybe when he is feeling better practice some crate games or something, unless he's already normally good in there and just full of beans from being cooped up? Perfectly normal. But what you did today, ignoring him, and also only letting him out when he's quiet and sitting nicely is a good thing to learn. You are doing great with him but trust me, you don't want a spoiled brat LOL

Not that he's gonna be one or that by letting out when he cries cause he's sick and you feel bad is a bad thing cause it's not and I'd do the same but i wouldn't make it a habit.

I only say this because when Gator was a puppy, he would cry and cry. We never crated him but he HATED being alone. So anyway, he would cry and at first we tried doing what they say you are supposed to, ignore him, but he was so loud and it was so sad. So then we all started taking turns sleeping with him. We'd come and sleep on the couch in the porch room, where he slept. Eventually we took an old mattress down and slept on that lol

And even when he got older, he's always slept in my dad's bed.

Well now he can't be alone lol

And he demands attention. He'll lay in the hall sometimes and just grumble and grumble till you cave and pet him. It's actually pretty cute but ANNOYING when you are trying to do something important. Cause eventually he barks now.

And if he's in a room and you're petting him and you stop, he throws his head back like "what the heck" LOL

And sometimes when my dad travels, he will lay downstairs and bark all night. Seriously. One time he was still going at 5 or 6am.

And he has especially bad separation anxiety from my brother. He lives down the street now but if he comes over and he's outside and Gator isn't allowed, ohhhh he loses it lol

Now, this isn't to scare you, and it's also due to bad training and rewarding the behavior (hes so cute we usually cave and pet him or come down and yell at him to shut up, which is still attention) and we never socialized him, and he's not really a very confident dog to begin with and I think has anxiety. And he's actually gotten a lot better. We got him a dog bed at our dump (transfer station) a few months ago. They have a free area to take stuff. It's a really good LL Bean one with the bolsters on the sides and he LOVES it plus his hip has gotten worse so he can't jump up on the bed anymore so he's been sleeping on his own bed at night now. So he naturally has a bit more separation so now when my dad travels, he usually doesn't do the barking anymore and just sleeps on his dog bed.

But he still can't be alone cause we ruined him. Not that you're ruining Keeper by any means, you are doing great, just a cautionary tale of having a spoiled brat LOL

Oh and lately when I watch TV he has to be in the same room and usually lies on the couch or by my feet. Now, he's not technically allowed in the living room but he's such a brat and eats everything, paces around the house, cries and barks, etc. Until i cave. I actually now wonder if he does that on purpose... he's a very smart dog. He could easily be a brat on command if it got him what he wanted lol but once in the living room, he passes out on the couch and goes into a deep sleep ha

And oddly this is only at night, during the day he is fine on the bed. Maybe cause his bed is in the hall near the kitchen and everyone passes by him all day?

Cause I suppose this could also be his breed. He is half black Lab and half Great Pyrenees. So we are kind of his flock and I think he likes keeping tabs on us. Plus being very family oriented dogs. So we might not have entirely ruined him as much as breed but it certainly didn't help lol

I think he's also going deaf.

And he has calmed down a lot. He's a lot better behaved, listens better, calmer, etc. Now at alnost 6 (in March) than he was as a pup ha

Sorry for the novel or whatever.

And sorry if i sounded rude or like a know it all, wasn't my intention

Not at all and thanks for the tips. We never had an issue with separation prior to this accident, the first day he was here he went outside in his run on his own. Yes he whined and cried but got over it in the end. He’s doing better in the cage as in just ignoring him and he eventually shuts up. My issue with leaving him is not the fact that he whines and I want to give in but more incase he injures himself again, not sure we could really afford the thousands of £’s again for another batch of surgery :hmm

Keeper is adorable btw.

And i forget the exact percentage. Os he more springer or cocker?

More cocker, his mother is a cocker and his father is a sprocker :)

YaY! I assume he is still on restricted exercise. Bet he is loving having his inflatable collar off, although it means he no longer has his portable pillow!

I'm guessing you won't have been out on Harry much if at all, recently.... I made the mistake of trying to get Rebel out a few days ago and completely misjudged it. Back roads were lethal and he was hyper, even without shoes. I was worried sick he was going to slip and hit the deck but the school run started just after we got out and I didn't dare bring him back through all the traffic and children when he was being so daft, so we found an area in a back street that was relatively quiet and I tried to keep him calm until the coast was clear to get back to the yard. Things were not helped by Rascal shouting for him whilst we tried to waste time and regain composure. Totally my fault. I had just tidied his feet up with the rasp and had half an hour to spare and it was an impulsive decision since I haven't been out this year yet and a month is nearly gone. It will be a while before I let myself be impulsive again. We jogged home sideways, despite the ice and incline and the more I tried to stop him the more he threw his head about and became unbalanced. My heart was in my mouth until we were safely back in the yard!
I guess I am going to have to do a lot more riding in the coming months to make up for my lack of it this month! :confused:

Kim, glad to hear Keeper is pillow free! :yesss:

Does he still have to be in the cage or is he a free-ranging dog again?

YaY! I assume he is still on restricted exercise. Bet he is loving having his inflatable collar off, although it means he no longer has his portable pillow!

I'm guessing you won't have been out on Harry much if at all, recently.... I made the mistake of trying to get Rebel out a few days ago and completely misjudged it. Back roads were lethal and he was hyper, even without shoes. I was worried sick he was going to slip and hit the deck but the school run started just after we got out and I didn't dare bring him back through all the traffic and children when he was being so daft, so we found an area in a back street that was relatively quiet and I tried to keep him calm until the coast was clear to get back to the yard. Things were not helped by Rascal shouting for him whilst we tried to waste time and regain composure. Totally my fault. I had just tidied his feet up with the rasp and had half an hour to spare and it was an impulsive decision since I haven't been out this year yet and a month is nearly gone. It will be a while before I let myself be impulsive again. We jogged home sideways, despite the ice and incline and the more I tried to stop him the more he threw his head about and became unbalanced. My heart was in my mouth until we were safely back in the yard!
I guess I am going to have to do a lot more riding in the coming months to make up for my lack of it this month! :confused:

Oh crikey Barbara!!! I’m glad you stayed on board but how scary! It’s a shame you can’t do ride and lead so they would at least have some company. Defeats the object though of getting them used to being out on their own but I’m all for a quiet life :lol: As you suspected not a lot of riding going on here either! By the time one of us gets some jobs done out of the house we need to head back to relieve the other of “Keeper watch” I was hoping to get out on Saturday but had the farrier come to do Harry and he decided he was making his shoes from scratch so it took longer than anticipated to get him shod. By the time Harry was sorted I needed to get back so Scott could go get his bits and bobs done. Charlie was on the cock day at the shoot he beats on so he was also out all day. He wasn’t too happy either when he got home as he only got 5 partridge out of about 30 shots. Bad shooting day he said so wasn’t a happy bunny! I’m scared to leave Keeepr just in case he does something stupid. He was killing his teddy the other day in the cage and he was managing to move the cage across the floor :rolleyes: He was flailing and throwing himself around in there that in the end I took the teddy from him. He’s the same with chew toys and we keep swoppping them so he does not get bored with the same thing all the time. For now I have held off with ACP tablets for him but it’s very tempting......

Kim, glad to hear Keeper is pillow free! :yesss:

Does he still have to be in the cage or is he a free-ranging dog again?

Thanks Debby :)
I’m afraid no free ranging for him yet, few more weeks of cage rest and very short walks on the lead. Back to the orthopaedic vet on Feb 7th for a check up so hoping he will say we can at least walk on the lead a little bit further.

He was killing his teddy the other day in the cage and he was managing to move the cage across the floor :rolleyes: He was flailing and throwing himself around in there that in the end I took the teddy from him.

Oh goodness! I can understand you getting anxious with him getting so excited and throwing himself about like that. It must be very difficult to know what to do for the best. Have you taken him for a swimming session at all or has the vet not OK'd that?

As regards riding and leading, my lot are just too hyper, especially at this time of year. I am struggling to control one and far from comforting one another when they are out together, they just wind each other up and become competitively daft! There is also a good chance that they will kick each other when they get wound up in close proximity..... I know I have bad boys!:oops: I had hoped that having their shoes taken off might settle them down a bit, but Rebel clearly wasn't feeling unhappy being barefoot or was too excited to be aware of it. Of course their shoes have been off for a month now so they have acclimatised a little. When they first had them taken off, you could tell they were a bit sore, even just in the yard and stable.

Back
Top Bottom