Charlotte or Charles? Added a full body shot.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LolaBlue, Nov 21, 2010.

1. LolaBlue

LolaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Charlie is our Light Sussex, supposedly around 14weeks, but closer in size to our 20week old Welsummers than our 12 week old SLW.

What do you think, pullet or cockerel?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. tjtops

tjtops Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2009
    I've got a few ordinary 'red' hens, plus an Andalucian cockerel. So far, over the last couple of years, hatchlings have turned out all black, all white, white with a few brown feathers towards the tail (a current young cockerel) and a rich brown/black! This makes sexing a nightmare as they tend to be all different sizes too, and no guarantee that at least a couple have come from 'inbred' eggs, (altho only by one generation)!
    I've got some now 18 weeks and I'm STILL not 100 per cent sure about one of them (white, larger than the rest but of that hatch, one came out a full 10 days before the others!! This one doesn't have curved feathers on its tail)...also have a really sweet 14 week old one which I'm praying is not a cockerel (the 'mum' died and I had to pull this one out of the egg; the other two already-hatched ones died, but I managed to save this one so he's a pet!)
    Some of the hens have hackle feathers; my black one (definitely a hen cos she lays) does, and also has curved tail feathers and no comb to speak of...all the adult 'red' hens have very well developed combs...you get the drift!
    What I'd like to know is, are there any GENERAL guidelines to male/female characteristics which transcend most breeds? (Apart from behaviour presumably, altho even that's mixed up!!)

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    It's hard to tell from the pic if the sussex is a boy or girl, but the waddles make me think boy. I can tell you though- the sussex will be bigger than welsummers, it's just a bigger breed.

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I think boy.

5. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    I think Charlie's a pullet. I have a Speckled Sussex hen who had a bigger comb and wattles at 14 weeks and ended up starting to lay at around 20 weeks. She's big, though. She's the biggest of the group.

Mary

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Charlotte is very nice looking.

The sussex is not late in developing as some breeds can be. For 14 weeks she looks healthy. If a Charles then you'd see the saddles starting to develop or at the least a much bigger comb, not to mention a difinative different sound than your pullets make. The Light Sussex is one of the breeds I've been looking into getting, so pretty, calm and egg dependable. But starting to lean toward Barnie eggs for this spring...still undecided.

7. LolaBlue

LolaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

Full body shot. Excuse the lack of tail feathers, that's the way she (I can hold out hope, right?) came to us, with them all plucked out, they're slowly growing back in now. I'm quite sure they'd been plucked out, as it was completely naked skin on her tail and back between her wings (same as the SLW we got there too).

And I'm not too sure how accurate the 14 weeks is, there were lots of breeds all supposedly between 10-12 weeks at the time, but from what I understand, they were from a lot of different breeders, so I'm not sure that the age could be guaranteed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by