Charlottes surprise nest, should I let her sit them? They are FERTILE!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WriterofWords, Apr 24, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    In my other thread I introduced Charlottes surprise nest. Last night she decided it was time to sit on them I guess, she didn't leave it to roost like she usually does.
    She has 9 eggs under her tiny little butt, it would be more but I stole 5 and put them in the bator to see what would happen.
    I know she and Blue Rooster have been getting frisky so they may be fertile. Considering her young age I don't know.
    She's at least half Silkie and I've you all talking about they love to sit on eggs and I don't want to break her feathered little heart!
    Also it's still in the big plastic DEEP garden cart and it if rains where it is it will be a swimming pool. I thought about moving onto the porch but I also realize that if I do that some of the others could get higher up and see her little treasures in there and possible bother her.
    So should I let her sit them?
    Should I leave them where they are?
    Should I just live how many sleepless night listening for rain drops???
    AGAHHAHHGHGHHHA!!!
    Kate

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I'd let ehr sit--no harm done, right? Is tehre anyway to cover the cart so it would be protected from the rain?

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    If you want her to sit on them, then you should probably move her and the entire clutch of eggs somewhere more protected.

I'd set up a crate or blocked off area where you can put her, the eggs in a nest box of some sort and food/water for her.

I don't think leaving them in the garbarge bin is a good idea...

I know others have moved nests without an issue - if she is really broody, she will not abandon the eggs just because you move her to a better, safer and more sheltered location.

Good luck!

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    That was a big question,, should I move her nest? I think she would go with it, she's a sweety, but I admit being ignorant there.

5. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Did you move her next yet?
    If not, I have heard it said, it is best to do any changes with a broody after is is dark. It doesn't disrupt them so much.

Maybe someone with more experience will expand more on this.

I can't wait to have a broody hen. [​IMG]

Theresa

6. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Kate, I'd try to move her too, but you run the risk of her not liking the move and leaving the nest. My bantams I can move wherever I want. They are determined little gals. Standard hens I have yet to move one and have her stay with the nest. I'm sure it just depends on the hen. But I'd also do it at night. If you do, just make sure that others don't get in there and bother her and run her off the nest to lay more eggs in there. Can you put her in a separate place from the others?

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I haven't moved her yet, but I'll try to this weekend. I have a dog house that I will put in a fenced area for her alone. The problem will be that she will not be with Blue Rooster and Penny, they are constantly together. They cried for her last night while roosting because she didn't go to the roost with them. I found Blue sleeping next to the garden cart this morning. She has to be away from the others, they torment her and I'm sure they'd destroy her little treasures.
    Kate

8. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    I don't think she will mind not being with her buddies. She is in broody mode, but the others definitely need to not be able to get to her or they will pick on her. I know my hens seem to intentionally pick on the broodies, especially the bantam ones. Just make sure you wait until it is totally dark when you move her and the eggs. Last night I moved a bantam cochin from the regular nest boxes to a separate pen with her own nest box. My daughter had a flash light on and even with the little bit of light the hen was all in a huff and flying around trying to find her way back to the nest box place. Once I had the light off, I put her back in the new box and left. This morning she got off and wanted to go out to eat scratch with the others like she always does, but then she went back to the new box. Keep in mind since she has been setting a few days on those eggs that they are already starting to develop so they can't stand for her to take too long to settle into the new box or those eggs will get cold. I'm not sure where you are in NM, but up here in CO we had 19 for a low temp last night. Brrrr.

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm in the Southernmost section of NM on the Hell Paso line with Texas. It was 69 last night. She started sitting two days ago. Everymorning she gets up to have breakfast with Blue and Penny, so I have to work with that.
    I think she'll move ok as long as she has that contact with them. If I have to I'll pen all three of them up together.

10. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I candled the 5 eggs I took from Charlotte when I found her nest of 10 eggs on the 19th of April. She layed 4 more and started sitting on the 23rd. The 5 in the bator are all fertile and forming nicely,,,,, soooooooooo I took my handy dandy little mini mag lite out to her garden cart, that she is still in, with a little roof built over it for now. Steven lifted Charlotte about a foot off her nest and I quickly candled all 9 eggs her little butt is brooding on and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM IS FERTILE!!!!!!!
    The daddy is Blue Rooster,, he's the only one she gets frisky with, she doesn't even acknowledge Cogburn, so it ought to be interesting to see what she comes up with. Short fat black fluffy pants with 5 toes + tall skinny blue rooster with knock knees = oughta be interestin'!!

Last edited: May 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by